[comp.sys.next] Color Next Machines

gec@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Errol Casey) (07/07/89)

I was under the impression that NeXT was planning on also developing a
color version of their NeXT workstation.  Has anybody heard if NeXT has
made any progress on this development.

They did an outstanding job with monochrome, but color is still better.
I my view.

Granville Errol Casey, Jr.
NCSU Computer Science Department -   System Administrator
Email Addresses:  gec@cscosl.ncsu.edu
		  gec%cscosl@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (07/12/89)

In article <3345@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> gec@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Errol Casey) writes:
>I was under the impression that NeXT was planning on also developing a
>color version of their NeXT workstation.  Has anybody heard if NeXT has
>made any progress on this development.
>
>They did an outstanding job with monochrome, but color is still better.
>I my view.

My concern would be with those who purchased the B&W version of the
Megapixel display.  Will there be a colour Megapixel?  Will those of
us who have purchased B&W versions be able to upgrade easily?  For how
much?

The cost of the colour board doesn't conern me near as much as the cost
to replace or modify the display does.  Unless a colour NeXT will be a
2-headed monstor which I think would be a BIG mistake.

Sine Visa Ars Nihil Est
- John T. Nelson

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (07/13/89)

From Computer Systems News, July 10, 1989 front page article about Jobs-Gates
rivalry:

"... the Next machine,... does not yet support color but, according to Jobs,
will do so later this year."

So now that the cat is out of the bag, how about some details?

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
						  Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

mdeale@mira.acs.calpoly.edu (Myron Deale) (07/13/89)

In article <8444@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@ads.com (John Nelson) writes:
>>made any progress on this development.
>>They did an outstanding job with monochrome, but color is still better.
>>I my view.
>
>My concern would be with those who purchased the B&W version of the
>Megapixel display.  Will there be a colour Megapixel?  Will those of
>us who have purchased B&W versions be able to upgrade easily?  For how
>much?
>
>The cost of the colour board doesn't conern me near as much as the cost
>to replace or modify the display does.  Unless a colour NeXT will be a
>2-headed monstor which I think would be a BIG mistake.
>
>- John T. Nelson

  The question to balance is:  How many BW monitors have been sold vs.
how many color displays will sell?

   Upgrades would be nice: BW display for low-cost buy-in and then
move up to color. The BW monitor is quite superior to anything I've
seen to date. It'd be keen to have the cube handle multiple monitors
seamlessly.

   In addition, doesn't Display PostScript handle BW, greyscale,
and color ?

Myron
// mdeale@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu
// waiting for 1.0 and a RISCy cube