[comp.sys.next] X-11 and NeXT

bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates) (07/12/89)

The latest issue of MacWeek reported that an X-11 server for NeXT had
been developed at MIT.  Does anyone have further information on this?

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/12/89)

In article <7866@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates) writes:
   The latest issue of MacWeek reported that an X-11 server for NeXT had
   been developed at MIT.  Does anyone have further information on this?

The Summer 1989 issue of "NeXT NeWS" (a regional sales office
newsletter that I received the other day) says that some Athena
networking services, including Kerberos and Hesiod, have been ported,
and that the X port is 80% complete.  X will run inside a NextStep
window.  It's expected "this summer".

(Yes, I found the capitalization of the newsletter title amusing too :-)

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (07/13/89)

In article <BOB.89Jul12120430@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu> Bob Sutterfield <bob@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <7866@spool.cs.wisc.edu> bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates) writes:
>   The latest issue of MacWeek reported that an X-11 server for NeXT had
>   been developed at MIT.  Does anyone have further information on this?
>
>The Summer 1989 issue of "NeXT NeWS" (a regional sales office
>newsletter that I received the other day) says that some Athena
>networking services, including Kerberos and Hesiod, have been ported,
>and that the X port is 80% complete.  X will run inside a NextStep
>window.  It's expected "this summer".

I can confirm this.  Project Athena's NeXT sits about 10 feet from my
workstation.  The X server mostly runs, though there were bugs last
time I used it.  X performance is about what you would expect from a
workstation in its class (using the "xbench" benchmark, about 2.5 times
a microvax II, half as fast as a DecStation 3100, a bit slower than an
IBM RT).  It is only a single plane server for now; it was decided that
the performance and ease of implementation was greater using the mfb code
(as opposed to cfb).

The Zephyr Notification Service also runs on the NeXT, though we don't
yet have clients that use DPS.

The NeXT has helped us catch a lot of NULL pointer dereferences in code
we've tried to run on it...both Vax and RT have *(int *)0 == 0 by default,
but the NeXT has *(int *)0 == core dump.

    --John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (07/13/89)

In article <12625@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:
   The NeXT has helped us catch a lot of NULL pointer dereferences in
   code we've tried to run on it...both Vax and RT have *(int *)0 == 0
   by default, but the NeXT has *(int *)0 == core dump.

Heck, even a Sun can do that - where's the nifty new NeXT technology? :-)