[comp.sys.next] DSP for sound input.

mackid@caen.engin.umich.edu (Michael Neil) (07/16/89)

Does anyone have any information on how to hook up a microphone to the DSP
port and use it to digitize sound.  The quality of the monitor's
input is too low for my needs.  I also wouldn't mind info on how
to make stereo sounds from stereo mac sounds.  I know how to convert
mono 22K mac sounds but stereo would be nice.  Thanks in advance.

-Mike Neil (mackid@caen.engin.umich.edu)

.

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (07/17/89)

In article <44714340.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu> mackid@caen.engin.umich.edu (Michael Neil) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on how to hook up a microphone to the DSP
>port and use it to digitize sound.  The quality of the monitor's
>input is too low for my needs.

Listed in the Third Party products catalog from NeXT is a device
called Digital Ears.  I don't have the catalog handy, but I know the
thing can digitize 16 bits at 44.1 KHz (CD quality) on two channels,
or double the sample rate on one channel.  It comes with assorted
software like an oscilloscope emulator ("Monster Scope") and a few
other things.  I can't remember the name of the company that
produces it, but I have seen the product brochure.  It has very
good signal to noise ratio (90 dB before processing, not quite
as good afterwards), but my boss at Speech Technology Laboratory said
it was _too_ good, and therefore probably not true.  Of course,
this thing can handle any analog signal, not just speech from
a microphone.  The thing sells for $850.

Anyway, you can look in the Third Party catalog, and there is a short
description there.  I called the number listed there and discovered
that the fellow who answered the phone knows nothing about the
technical specifications.  He sent me a product description booklet,
and it looks good.  If you want more information, send me E-Mail and
say what you need, and I can look it up.

				-Dan

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (07/17/89)

Ok, I found the third-party catalog

Digital Ears, by Metaresearch, Incorporated.

For more information, contact:

Kim Orumchian
Metaresearch, Inc.
516 SE Morrison, Ste. M-1