[comp.sys.next] Transfering files between WriteNows

daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) (07/13/89)

This question may have been asked before. But...
Does anybody know how (or if) I can transfer WriteNow files
between the Mac and NeXT? I tried it once and the NeXT seems
to have a problem reading Mac WriteNow files. Is there any
kind of translation needed between them? Thanks in advance.
- daniel (ddee@vicorp.uu.net)

rick@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (07/18/89)

In article <5388@vicorp.UUCP> daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:
>This question may have been asked before. But...
>Does anybody know how (or if) I can transfer WriteNow files
>between the Mac and NeXT? I tried it once and the NeXT seems
>to have a problem reading Mac WriteNow files. Is there any
>kind of translation needed between them? Thanks in advance.
>- daniel (ddee@vicorp.uu.net)

I've tried it on small files, and it's worked for me -- and I'm even using
an old version (1.07) of WriteNow on my Mac.  After getting the file from
my Mac to my NeXT (using binary FTP or whatnot), and renaming the file with
a ".wn" suffix, I can open it from WriteNow.  Any option-characters get
garbled, and non-standard fonts get changed to Helvetica, but things work
for the most part.  It even accepts pictures, although instead of display-
ing them, it just draws a box saying "Macintosh graphic".

Rick Wong
rick@jessica.stanford.edu

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (07/18/89)

In article <5388@vicorp.UUCP> daniel@vicorp.UUCP (Daniel Dee) writes:
>This question may have been asked before. But...
>Does anybody know how (or if) I can transfer WriteNow files
>between the Mac and NeXT? I tried it once and the NeXT seems
>to have a problem reading Mac WriteNow files. Is there any
>kind of translation needed between them? Thanks in advance.
>- daniel (ddee@vicorp.uu.net)

I seem to remember that deep in the depths of the file system,
there is a utility to translate Mac WriteNow files to NeXT
ones.  It translates all the special characters, but not much
else.  Keep looking.