[comp.sys.next] Webster Copyright

morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (07/20/89)

Steve Dorner <1502@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> writes:
>I asked a while back about the copyright status of the Dictionary on the
>NeXT.[...]
>The information in the Webster must be processed and displayed
>ONLY on NeXT machines.  Using it as a basis for a webster server is NOT
>ok, unless ALL the clients are NeXT machines.

I would be most surprised if a simple copyright can make such a
stipulation.  In the worst case one could run a single-user server,
emulating the effect of having just a single copy of the dictionary. I
didn't sign a licensing agreement restricting such use of Webster. My
inclination is to ignore this advice.
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=128.189.97.20)
(604) 228-4327