[comp.sys.next] resizing windows

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (07/17/89)

I know this has been asked recently, but I haven't
noticed any replies.  Is there a way to resize the windows
on the NeXT?

Also, I had a chance to use a NeXT with 0.9 recently.  It
froze up twice. Has this been a problem with 0.9, or is it
me (I was just playing around, without the help of any
documentation, so I may have been doing *forbidden* things,
although this would have been unintentional).

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP                    David Carpenter
dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net    St. Joseph's University
ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET                Philadelphia, PA  19131

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (07/19/89)

In article <2143@sjuvax.UUCP> dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>I know this has been asked recently, but I haven't
>noticed any replies.  Is there a way to resize the windows
>on the NeXT?

Yeah, how 'bout it all you NeXTophiles?  I asked about a week ago
and received nary a response.  Have some pity on us less fortunate
humans.  Please?

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)

z8my@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (07/21/89)

Sorry, but my mailer couldn't reach you...

In article <2143@sjuvax.UUCP> you write:
>I know this has been asked recently, but I haven't
>noticed any replies.  Is there a way to resize the windows
>on the NeXT?

Well, you wouldn't have seen my response, as I mailed it...

Yes, there is a way to resize windows.  In one of the corners of the
title bar, there usually is a two-tone square box.  Click on it, and you
can grab an edge (there may be a limitation on which edge--I don't remember
exactly) and move it or a corner, around.

>Also, I had a chance to use a NeXT with 0.9 recently.  It
>froze up twice. Has this been a problem with 0.9, or is it
>me (I was just playing around, without the help of any
>documentation, so I may have been doing *forbidden* things,
>although this would have been unintentional).

Well, I haven't used 0.9 much, but I don't remember 0.8 being that
unstable.  In 0.8, there were some things you shouldn't do.

The plain UNIX stuff is pretty stable though.

>dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP                    David Carpenter
>dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net    St. Joseph's University
>ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET                Philadelphia, PA  19131

Sam Paik
d65y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/21/89)

> is there any way to resize a window on the NeXT.

> and other questions by those that have not used a NeXT.

First, yes you can resize a window.  It is the little gray bar on the bottom
of each window.

Second, I'm sure a campus rep would be a better place to look for this type
of information.  After all, NeXT has invested quite a bit of money into getting
knowledgable people on campuses all across the country.

Mike Rutman
Softmed

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (07/21/89)

In article <246300021@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>First, yes you can resize a window.  It is the little gray bar on the bottom
>of each window.
This may well have been an elementary question (I admit it, and
apologize for it); nevertheless, it is amazing how many DIFFERENT
answers I have received to it!

>Second, I'm sure a campus rep would be a better place to look for this type
>of information.  After all, NeXT has invested quite a bit of money into getting
>knowledgable people on campuses all across the country.
Do you REALLY think that such people are to be found "all across the
country"?  Think again.  There's no one of that description at my
university, and I suspect MANY people who are genuinely interested in
this machine are in the same position.  I'm interested in BUYING one,
and I can't find anyone to sell me one (and I "qualify"; I'm on the
faculty here).
David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

mnkonar@gorby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (07/24/89)

First off, I'd like to thank those of you who responded to
my question.  I would really have liked to check it out first hand
but last I heard, our local NeXT University had their CuBE locked
away in a room where no one could get at it.

Sorry if some of you thought this too trivial to discuss.