[comp.sys.next] Software key scheme

san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) (07/25/89)

I've been looking thru the NeXT technical documents, but I can't find
any reference to machine serial number available via software.  Since
I don't have a NeXT, I can't actually poke around the system or look
at the online docs.

Does the NeXT have a unique number/ID for each unit?  The question is
actually leading towards how someone would license a piece of software
for an individual unit with some (albeit minimal) security.

I'm interested in the NeXT *technical* issues around this kind of scheme.

Thanks,

Steve Sanderson
halley!san@cs.utexas.ed  -or-  cs.utexas.edu!halley!san

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/26/89)

In article <534@halley.UUCP> san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) writes:
>Does the NeXT have a unique number/ID for each unit?  The question is
>actually leading towards how someone would license a piece of software
>for an individual unit with some (albeit minimal) security.

Each cube has a unique Ethernet address.

I can't wait for "Copy II NeXT"  :-)
[IMHO, you are a fool to use serial numbers for license checking.]

					-=EPS=-