[comp.sys.next] VT100 Emulator Available?

joe@oregon.uoregon.edu (Joe St Sauver) (07/17/89)

In addition to NeXT related work, I also need to continue to support VAX/VMS
users. This is challenging (at least from the NeXT) due to the absence of
VT100 keypad support on the 0.9 terminal application.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Will 1.0 include a true/complete
VT100 emulator?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Joe St Sauver (JOE@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU)
Statistical Programmer and Consultant
University of Oregon Computing Center

march@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/19/89)

I agree, the VT100 emulation is *VERY* poor.  Anyone have, "vttest"?  The
program which exactingly tests a terminal's emulation of a VT100.
Terminal 0.9 fails the test miserably.

Well, that's my 2 cents ....

Steve March						(H) 344-5303
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois	(W) 333-7408
march@cs.uiuc.edu
{uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!march
"Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist." -- Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/20/89)

Why might NeXT not ship a decent terminal emulator?
Read their Third-Party Programs and Products booklet.

Look at the ads in any of the magazines targeted at DEC customers;
vendors get hundreds of dollars for "DEC-compatible" terminal
emulators for IBM PCs (even though good ones are available for
free!).

C'mon, terminal emulators aren't \that/ hard to write.  Somebody
please volunteer, and stick it on cs.orst.edu.  Simple enough?

					-=EPS=- / SFSU

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/21/89)

I wish we will have xterm emulation rather than vt100 emulation for just
two reason.   A bigger vt100 window and being able to scroll up.

Hugh

ell@mitre.org (Edward L. Lafferty) (07/26/89)

   From: epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 20 Jul 89 06:50:04 GMT

   Why might NeXT not ship a decent terminal emulator?
   Read their Third-Party Programs and Products booklet.

   Look at the ads in any of the magazines targeted at DEC customers;
   vendors get hundreds of dollars for "DEC-compatible" terminal
   emulators for IBM PCs (even though good ones are available for
   free!).

   C'mon, terminal emulators aren't \that/ hard to write.  Somebody
   please volunteer, and stick it on cs.orst.edu.  Simple enough?

I disagree. Having written the one for the Sun -- Public Domain
version, I can tell you that to REALLY emulate a VT100 is a bear! If
all you want is to answer the remote query dequences and then be able
to do straight ascii text display -- sure, maybe not too hard. But ,
graphics, double high, double wide, scrolling, 132 char screen,
reverse, bold, blink, and more and more and more. When I get my NeXT
which should be soon, I'll see what I can do to move the code but I
doubt it will be easy since it is in Sunview form.

--
Regards,

Ed

----------------------------------->>
External:                           Internal Mail addresses at MITRE:

ell@linus.mitre.org			ell@mbunix
					ell@linus

roller@Jessica.stanford.edu (Jason Deines) (07/27/89)

Well, I'm in the process of writing an improved vt100 emulator.  I have one
that runs under Terminal; sort of "cleans up" the response from the App
supplied by NeXT.  We've been using it here at my group at Stanford and it
seems pretty solid, though it doesn't completely pass vttest validation.
If people are interested I'll make it available -- suggestions to archive
sites would be welcomed.

Eventually I'd like to get it running with scrollbars, resizing, and the
whole nine yards, but I don't know when I might get that version up and
running.  If there's some feature you'd like to see, again, let me know.

Jason Deines                   Academic Information Resources
roller@jessica.stanford.edu    Sweet Hall, Third Floor
(415) 723-1055                 Stanford, CA  94305