[comp.sys.next] printing raw postscript

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (07/25/89)

I've been trying to print some raw postscript, and I can't quite
do it right.  Anybody know what to do?

There are some PostScript files out there that will not display
on the standard previewer, but need YAP (Yet Another Previewer)
to be seen.  I assume this is from lack of a bounding box or
something like that.  When these files are printed, all that is
shown is the poscript source.

I know this is a postscript printer, and others I have met ONLY
take postscript files to print, and do not translate to ordinary
text, so I assume the ENSCRIPT routines are taking the text and
making it text.

Of course, the ideal thing to do is to take the result of some
Postscript hack or another an paste it right into a WriteNow
or Draw document, but that doesn't work, either (Draw complains
about "no bounding box").

Does anybody know how to get the results of postscript into a
WriteNow document?  Thanks in advance

					-Dan

tim@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Timothy Jones) (07/25/89)

Well, sometimes simply adding a %! to the beginning of the file will
allow it to be printed.  With other files, including most of the
examples in /NextLibrary/Examples/PostScript, I have encountered the
same problem (e.g. not being able to print at all).  I've also noticed
that many files (valid postscript) won't display under preview (thus I
think it's probably less than perfect).  I find YAP to be much more
reliable, the only problem is that it can't print.

* Timothy Jones                                                              *
* Columbia University Center for Computing Activities			     *
* Instructional Computing Consulting Group                                   *
*                                                                            *
* ARPANET:		tim@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu                           *
* BITNET:		tim@cunixc, timus@cuvmb                              *
* USENET:		...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!tim                      *

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (07/27/89)

In article <2114@hub.UUCP> dz@cornu.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>I've been trying to print some raw postscript, and I can't quite
>do it right.  Anybody know what to do?

From the symptoms you describe (it lists the PostScript code) I think
all you need to do is to add the two characters '%!' to the beginning
of the file (on a line by themselves).  The "lpr" command tries to
simulate the old line-printer function of listing the file unless the
magic number at the beginning is %! to indicate executable PostScript.
It actually passes the file through a filter much like "enscript" to
make this happen.

Give it a try.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems