[comp.sys.next] swapfile control?

paul@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Lansky) (07/27/89)

I am working with very large files, and consequently my swapfile
seems to grow quite large as well (~50 meg at this point).  Does
anyone know of some way other than rebooting to shrink the size of
the swapfile, once all relevant applications are closed?

tim@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Timothy Jones) (07/27/89)

In article <9608@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> paul@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Lansky) writes:
> I am working with very large files, and consequently my swapfile
> seems to grow quite large as well (~50 meg at this point).  Does
> anyone know of some way other than rebooting to shrink the size of
> the swapfile, once all relevant applications are closed?

If you set the lowat option in /etc/swaptab, then mach will try to
shrink the paging file down to a specified size when possible.  Or, if
you set the hiwat option, the swapfile simply won't grow above a
specified size.  In either case, "man 5 swaptab" will give you the
complete story.

/tim

* Timothy Jones                                                              *
* Columbia University Center for Computing Activities			     *
* Instructional Computing Consulting Group                                   *
* ARPANET:		tim@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu                           *
* BITNET:		tim@cunixc, timus@cuvmb                              *
* USENET:		...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!tim                      *