[comp.sys.next] Objective C book request

danking@aludra.usc.edu (Dan King) (07/27/89)

I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times, but is there a
good/decent/passable objective C book out there?  Is there a
recomended way to learn the new language?  I've been sitting next to
an unused cube for most of the summer, and have finally decided to see
if I can do something with it.

Thanks in advance for any help,
dank

chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) (07/28/89)

In article <4527@merlin.usc.edu> danking@aludra.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:

>I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times, but is there a
>good/decent/passable objective C book out there?  Is there a
>recomended way to learn the new language?  I've been sitting next to
>an unused cube for most of the summer, and have finally decided to see
>if I can do something with it.

A good read on object oriented programming in general is Brad Cox's
"OOP, an evolutionary approach". Fortunately, it is based on Objective-C
and how it, as a hybrid language, will change the world. I am reading it now
in my limited spare time.

Also, send off to Next or Stepstone and buy the objective-C manual which
has a tutorial included.

First you might search for 'reading' in the Librarian....

Chris

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (07/28/89)

In article <4527@merlin.usc.edu> danking@aludra.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:

>I know this has probably been asked hundreds of times, but is there a
>good/decent/passable objective C book out there?  Is there a
>recomended way to learn the new language?  I've been sitting next to
>an unused cube for most of the summer, and have finally decided to see
>if I can do something with it.

I'll recommend something a lot shorter than a book first.  In the
NeXT archives on cc.purdue.edu (128.210.9.2) in "pub/next/docs/ObjC.wn.tar.Z"
and "pub/next/docs/ObjC.ps.Z" there is a document (actually I used it as
the source for transparencies) which gives a rudimentary intro to
Objective C in the NeXT environment.  It doesn't cover all of the
features of Objective C, but it should get a person started.

A second source is Brad Cox's book on "Object Oriented Programming, an
Evolutionary Approach".  The book is interesting, gets you hyped up
a bit on Object Oriented Programming and spends a little time talking
about a few other object oriented languages.  The coverage for Objective
C is less organized that I would have liked as an intro, but it does
offer a perspective.

Stepstone has the language manuals which are also helpful.  They provide
a more detailed description of the language.  The manuals of theirs that
are included in the "Appendices" section of the NeXT Technical Docs are
entitled "Objective-C Compiler Version 4.0 User Reference Manual" and
"Objective-C Runtime Library Version 4.0 User Reference Manual".
In the Compiler URM, there is a chapter called "Thirty Minute Tutorial".
I don't think the Tutorial is all that great, but combined with some
of the above references, you can get a pretty good idea of how
Objective C works.

Stepstone also offers several courses on the language for those with
money, time, and sufficient interest.  I believe you can send a note
to "aMessage@stepstone.com" asking for info or asking to be added
low content from what I've seen so far, though.

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@cc.purdue.edu