[comp.sys.next] Number Crunching on the Cube?

barry@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) (07/28/89)

_
_
How good is the Cube at pure number crunching? Does anyone
have some benchmarks comparing it to, say, some flavor of Sun?
Please post them if you do.

If you have a Cube handy, try this trivial benchmark:

  Write a program that multiplies 1.000001 (double precision)
  against itself 10^6 times,
  and time it with the unix "time" command. Try it with and without
  the floating point chip.

For comparison, here are the elapsed
cpu times for some of our local Suns, and the inferred MFLOPage:

[Notes: 68881 denotes the Motorola MC68881 floating point
coprocessor; all runs were compiled with the -O optimization option
on the f77 compiler, which makes about a factor of 4 improvement
when using the MC68881.]

  Machine (options)    cpu time/sec    MFLOPs   Comments
  ------------------   ------------    ------   --------
  Sun 3/50               101.4         0.01
  Sun 3/50 (68881)         4.3         0.23     20x speedup

  Sun 3/60                66.1         0.015
  Sun 3/60 (68881)         3.7         0.27     18x speedup

  Sun 3 Server            47.8         0.02
  Sun 3 Server (68881)     3.5         0.29     14x speedup

and, just for fun, our local
throwback to
the centralized computing
era

  ELXSI 6400               2.1         0.48     cost > $200K

  NeXT Cube                ???         ????     ???????????

Any info on Cube processing speeds (and the speed of the
optical drive---measured in units of user pain) is appreciated.

-thanks

Barry Merriman
University of Chicago,
Dept of math

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) (07/28/89)

In article <4696@tank.uchicago.edu> barry@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

>How good is the Cube at pure number crunching? Does anyone
>have some benchmarks comparing it to, say, some flavor of Sun?

  I've run a floating pt intensive benchmark on a number of systems.
This is a real application, not a synthetic benchmark.  It's an energy
minimization of a DNA pentamer/drug complex.  Data arrays occupied about
600 kbytes.  There were not a significant number of sqrts or trig functions
in this benchmark, just a lot of floating pt math.  All compilations were
done using optimization.  The NeXT benchmark was run using a Sun 3 binary,
compiled f77 -O -f68881.  (This really worked, but might not in the future)
The benchmark was run in both double and single precision on various machines.

  Machine             Double prec.       Single prec.
Cray XMP4/8               11 sec    (cray native word=64bits)
Convex C1                103                70 sec.
DecStation 3100          203
IRIS 4D/70               243               166
NeXT                                      1885
Sun 3/280 68881                           2945
Sun 3/160 fpa           4486              3681

  There's no reason that I could not have run double precision on the
NeXT, I would expect about a 30% slowdown in this particular application.
The cube can certainly be used for real number crunching; I find its
floating point behavior to be excellent.   Crunching is not the cube's
strong point, however, in comparison to the hot RISC boxes.  Although,
to put it in perspective, it's on par with a Vax 11/780.   This code
is highly vectorized, and the vector lengths in the problem are long
enough to make a fair comparison to the Convex and Cray.   I'm still
hoping that a vector library will appear that uses the DSP chip, although
I am not sure how fast this might be.  Absoft has a fortran compiler for
the cube, with Object-Oriented extensions.  I've used their compiler
on the Mac and liked it, and understand that their NeXT compiler is much
better.

George Seibel, UCSF