[comp.sys.next] Mathematica Performance?

barry@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) (07/28/89)

-
-
For those Cube users with the beta version of
Mathematica:
              how's the performance?

I've heard Mac II users complain that they don't have enough
memory to do useful calculations. Is this a problem on
the Cube? How about speed, and the user interface?

Thanks,
-Barry Merriman
 University of Chicago,
 Dept. of Math

ags@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (07/28/89)

In article <4697@tank.uchicago.edu> barry@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>For those Cube users with the beta version of
>Mathematica:
>              how's the performance?
>
>I've heard Mac II users complain that they don't have enough
>memory to do useful calculations. Is this a problem on
>the Cube? How about speed, and the user interface?

Memory is a problem in the 0.9 version, because it doesn't seem to get managed
properly.  Large computations tend to make Mathematica freeze up completely.
The only remedy I have found is to locate the process in a Terminal window,
kill it, and start over.

It's no faster than the Mac II version at present.  Saving a file, in
particular, is interminably slow.  The user interface is incomplete, but seems
to be coming along ok.  I'm waiting to see what 1.0 will be like.
--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu