[comp.sys.next] HELP!?!?

flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) (07/27/89)

I have a fairly serious problem, which I can't seem to correct.  I have
four cubes, of which they are getting along pretty well, until yesterday.

On one of the machines (all with hard drives), I wanted to create an
entry in the fstab (netinfo fstab) for the optical drive, so I did.
For one reason or another, I changed my mind, and took it out of the
database using NetInfo, along with another mount that was obsolete.  The
only problem is, that after I rebooted the machine, it no longer wants
to mount anything, even it's own disk.  Hence, df returns with just the
headers, /etc/mtab is empty, etc.

All the other machines still appear normal, mounting and unmounting at will,
including the "dead" machine's filespace.  Note that while /dev/sd0a is not
mounted, the machine still finds all the local filespace with no problem.

This is obviously a major problem, but I'm not even sure where to explore
next to try to find an answer.

H E L P ! ! ! ! !

Peter
   Georgia Tech, School of Electrical Engineering, Atlanta, GA  30332
    USENET: ...!{allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,ulysses}!gatech!clemson!flur
	INTERNET: flur@clemson.gatech.edu, gt2500a@prism.gatech.edu
	                 PHONE: (404) 894-2955

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (07/28/89)

In article <344@eedsp.gatech.edu> flur@clemson.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) writes:

>On one of the machines (all with hard drives), I wanted to create an
>entry in the fstab (netinfo fstab) for the optical drive, so I did.
>For one reason or another, I changed my mind, and took it out of the
>database using NetInfo, along with another mount that was obsolete.  The
>only problem is, that after I rebooted the machine, it no longer wants
>to mount anything, even it's own disk.  Hence, df returns with just the
>headers, /etc/mtab is empty, etc.

[Posted rather than emailed, because it seems everyone runs into
 problems with NetInfo sooner or later.  The same style procedures
 will typically hold true for similar problems -gerrit]

First, you need to verify if the fstab "directory" still exists
in NetInfo.  Try the following:

% niutil -list . /

1        machines
3        users
16       services
63       printers
84       mounts
100      groups
351      networks
1931     protocols
1942     rpcs

(All of the following commands will need to be done as "root").
The important one here for your situation is the "mounts" entry.  The
corresponding number (84 in this case) is not important to what you
are doing.  If the "mounts" entry exists, you can skip the next step.
Otherwise, you can create it via the following:

# niutil -create . /mounts

Now you have a place to store the mount information.  Next, put the
following lines in your /etc/fstab file (you may need to be root to
edit this file):

/dev/sd0a / 4.3 rw,noquota,noauto 0 1
#/dev/od0a / 4.3 rw,noquota,noauto 0 1

The second line is currently commented out.  If you ever want the
OD to be permanently mounted, remove the "#" character from the
front of the second line.  Make sure that there aren't two lines
which try to mount /dev/sd0a - either NetInfo or Unix might get
confused if there are (I've never tried confusing it that way - it
might be more robust than I'd bet on.)

Now, tell NetInfo about this information using:

# niload fstab . < /etc/fstab

Then, to finish things up, you should try the following

# mount -a

Then, to check up on things, try:

# df

If this doesn't work, send me a note letting me know what broke
and where, and I'll see if I can dream up something better.

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@cc.purdue.edu

flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) (07/29/89)

>If this doesn't work, send me a note letting me know what broke
>and where, and I'll see if I can dream up something better.
>
>Gerrit Huizenga
>NeXT Workstation Support
>Purdue University Computing Center
>gerrit@cc.purdue.edu

niload and netinfo were what got me into trouble into the first place.
I tried this procedure again, but still with nothing in my /etc/mtab.

Peter