[comp.sys.next] Floptical upside-down cake

dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/29/89)

Has anyone besides me noticed that it is EASY to insert the floptical upside
down?  Sure it spits it back out the first time, but the second time you push
it in it happily accepts it and hangs the cUbe.

Where were the mechanical engineers when this thing was designed?  Or is this
a subtle hint that later versions may allow media that IS reversible?

I predict a brisk market for the first guy that markets bright orange stickers
that say, "OTHER SIDE UP, DUMMY!"

David Doudna, somewhat embarassed system administrator, SoftMed
dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (07/31/89)

In article <246300027@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Has anyone besides me noticed that it is EASY to insert the floptical upside
>down?

When we got our first two cubes, one of the 0.8 disks had its
labels "reversed" so you had to "stick it in upside down."  If
you look carefully at the cartridge itself, you'll see that it IS
labeled.  Since netboot worked fine in 0.9 (with a little kernel
poking, but that's another story), we don't have much use for
flopticals other than backup, and even that's questionable...
it's not hard to back up over the network to a SCSI tape drive on
an existing Sun.  Flopticals are small and expensive compared to
tape cartridges, and the "data fade" questions haven't been
adequately answered.
					-=EPS=- / SFSU

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (07/31/89)

In article <348@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Flopticals are small and expensive compared to
>tape cartridges, and the "data fade" questions haven't been
>adequately answered.

Someone mentioned this alleged problem of "data fade" some while
ago and no one ever responded.  This strikes me as a fairly
serious question.  Is there any reliable information as to whether
or not this is a genuine problem (or is it merely a rumor, like
the one about deteriorating compact discs about a year back)?

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (07/31/89)

In article <246300027@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dpd00609@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Has anyone besides me noticed that it is EASY to insert the floptical upside
>down?

At my afternoon job, we have a couple of external optical disks
hooked up to a sun 3/50.  I can't remember offhand what company sold
us the drives, but I'm pretty sure that the drive mechanism was made by
Sony, and I know the disks are labeled "Sony."

In any case, the drive is only one sided, but the disks are double-sided.
That's right, to get to the other side, you have to flip the disk over.
The disks are just like those in the NeXT, except both sides the of the disk
inside have the cute rainbow patterns.  You get 300 megs per side,
more like 240 after formatting.

Before you get too excited about flippy disks, the drives cost $5K apiece,
and the disks run for $250 each!

					-Dan
| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |

dz@lime.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (08/01/89)

In article <2161@sjuvax.UUCP> dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>Someone mentioned this alleged problem of "data fade" some while
>ago and no one ever responded.  Is there any reliable information
>as to whether or not this is a genuine problem.

Optical disks are considered one of the most reliable forms of
data storage.  They tend to hold data unless they are being
struck with a laser, so they are not affected by the electrical
fields that can degrade data on normal floppies or on normal
magnetic tape.  You can expect your flopticals to be good for
at least a decade, or maybe two.  Normal magnetic tape, on the
other hand, is only good for two or three years, then you may
or may not get data loss.  The new metal particle tape is really
amazing, though.  It doesn't lose data over time, and a $9 cartridge
the size of a cassette tape can hold 2 GBytes!
| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: If it's wrong or stupid, pretend I didn't do it.        |

croley@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David T. Croley) (08/02/89)

In article <2161@sjuvax.UUCP> dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) asks:
>Someone mentioned this alleged problem of "data fade" some while
>ago and no one ever responded.  This strikes me as a fairly
>serious question.  Is there any reliable information as to whether
>or not this is a genuine problem (or is it merely a rumor, like
>the one about deteriorating compact discs about a year back)?

There is no "data fade" problem associated with the magneto-optical
disk used in the NeXT.  "Data fade" has been a problem with the two
other types of optical disks: phase change and dye-polymer.  Also there
have been problems with limited read/write cycles for dye-polymer
systems.  The THOR system that Tandy announced very prematurely is based
on the dye-polymer method.

Most optical drives on the market now are magneto-optical drives.
The data on magneto-optical drives is expected to last somewhere around
ten years or more.  I have heard that this is twice that of conventional
magnetic hard drives.  This has to do with the way the polarity of
individual bits of data are lined up.

David T. Croley                               The University of Texas at Austin
croley@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu
croley@(pick a dwarf).cc.utexas.edu        "Don't believe everything you read."