[comp.sys.next] Sources for Blank Optical Disks?; Backing Up HD?

joe@oregon.uoregon.edu (Joe St Sauver) (08/02/89)

A question to you old-timer NeXT users -- How are you handling backing up your
330 or 660 meg hard disks? Are you doing your backup on optical disk, or by
taking a compressed tarred backup set to (mainframe) tape via FTP, or ?

A related question for those of you who've purchased (blank) optical disks for
the NeXT -- is there any alternative to buying the disks directly from NeXT? I
am, of course, interested in identifying a distributor with low prices and
rapid delivery and a willingness to accept University P.O.'s  [Yeah, I know,
dream on, right? Well, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.]

dz@citron.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (08/03/89)

In article <6081@oregon.uoregon.edu> joe@oregon.uoregon.edu (Joe St Sauver) writes:
>A question to you old-timer NeXT users -- How are you handling backing up your
>330 or 660 meg hard disks? Are you doing your backup on optical disk, or by
>taking a compressed tarred backup set to (mainframe) tape via FTP, or ?

I have written a shell script to automatically back up selected files
and directories to the optical disk.  Send me mail and tell me and
intelligent place to upload it if you want it.  It makes use of a
cuspy little program to get data from the user in the shellscript,
which in turn uses a little library of very useful string hacks.

I don't think there are any NeXT old-timers yet.  It makes things
more egalitarian.

| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: If it's wrong or stupid, pretend I didn't do it.        |