[net.auto] Radar Detectors as a Warning Device

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (08/16/85)

> Ever stop to think, just maybe, there is a real use
> for radar detectors? If I turn mine on I'll know if
> there is a radar car ahead. I'd also know there's a
> possibility of a bunch of cars parked on the shoulder
> up ahead...
> ...I want to know if these cars
> and people are stopped up ahead. Forewarned is fore-armed.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Frye

What a great idea!  All cars could be required to have
radar that turns on automatically when the 4-way flashers
are turned on.  That way everyone with radar detectors
could be warned when approaching a disabled vehicle.

This could save lives and make the road a safer place to
change a tire!
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

z@rocksvax.UUCP (08/18/85)

The use of radar as a warning signal is indeed a good use.  Unfortunately
that would be a misuse of the frequencies according to the FCC.  As I remember
those frequencies are allocated for something like radio ranging and detection.
The use of the frequency for "distress" signals doesn't exactly fall into
this category but then again rules are made to be changed.  Anyone have
their FCC rule books handy?

//Z\\
James M. Ziobro
Ziobro.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
{rochester,amd,sunybcs,allegra}!rocksvax!z

tel@cbnap.UUCP (T. E. Lester x3259 3E257) (08/19/85)

In article <1014@hou2h.UUCP> stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) writes:
>> ....and people are stopped up ahead. Forewarned is fore-armed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tom Frye
>
>What a great idea!  All cars could be required to have
>radar that turns on automatically when the 4-way flashers ....
>--
>  \\\
>   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin
STOP!! Don't even suggest it. Some one in the Fed. Gov. might hear you.
Besides, they already thought of it. Collision avoidance systems are
being considered as mandatory equipment for heavy trucks and the like.
(can't recall reference, but will search on request)
I'm sure if it passes, cars will be next. If this keeps up, cars will
cost as much as private planes. (Maybe then general aviation will get
some sympathy !)
		Regulation Sucks!!!  ihnp4!tcbnap!tel

Don't protect me from myself, if I'm stupid I deserve to die!

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (08/23/85)

> STOP!! Don't even suggest it. Some one in the Fed. Gov. might hear you.
> Besides, they already thought of it. Collision avoidance systems are
> being considered as mandatory equipment for heavy trucks and the like.
> (can't recall reference, but will search on request)
> I'm sure if it passes, cars will be next. If this keeps up, cars will
> cost as much as private planes. (Maybe then general aviation will get
> some sympathy !)
> 		Regulation Sucks!!!  ihnp4!tcbnap!tel
>
> Don't protect me from myself, if I'm stupid I deserve to die!

Fine by me.  Just don't let your stupidity take me with you. :-)