[comp.sys.next] BreakApp

mdeale@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Myron Deale) (08/06/89)

  Wasn't there some discussion regarding the BreakApp game a few
months ago?  I'm just wondering if there's a fix for when the ball
goes to "hyper-velocity" and goes *through* the tiles rather than
bouncing them out. In addtion, has anyone made it to level 100?
beyond?  It's hard to overcome boredom after 50 or so.

-Myron
PS. Level 76, 12930. Still wired too.

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (08/06/89)

In article <13244@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> Myron Deale writes:
>  Wasn't there some discussion regarding the BreakApp game a few
>months ago?  I'm just wondering if there's a fix for when the ball
>goes to "hyper-velocity" and goes *through* the tiles rather than
>bouncing them out.

The fix would be to change the maximum y velocity in the BreakView.m
file. The sources to BreakApp are in /NextDeveloper/Examples/BreakApp.
I believe it'll be enough if you reduce the maximum velocity by two...

>It's hard to overcome boredom after 50 or so.

The 1.0 BreakApp has some improvements... 8-)

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

mdeale@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Myron Deale) (08/07/89)

In article <11148@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>In article <13244@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> Myron Deale writes:
>>  I'm just wondering if there's a fix for when the ball
>>goes to "hyper-velocity" and goes *through* the tiles rather than
>>bouncing them out.
>
>The fix would be to change the maximum y velocity in the BreakView.m
>file. The sources to BreakApp are in /NextDeveloper/Examples/BreakApp.
>I believe it'll be enough if you reduce the maximum velocity by two...
>
>Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support

   The velocity I don't mind. Gives ya' a little something to worry
about. But when you have "hyper-velocity" it is possible to aim for
a tile and have the ball go *through* it. Repeatedly. If the ball
can at least hit the tile there's the possibility of things slowing
down and the chance of completing the round. Otherwise you just have
to let the ball go by. Hopefully there are some remaining.

   ... sure is hard with the small paddle :)

-Myron
// disclaimer: i_speak_for_me_and_not_for_them

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (08/07/89)

In article <13261@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> Myron Deale writes:
>In article <11148@polya.Stanford.EDU> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>>The fix would be to change the maximum y velocity in the BreakView.m
>>file.
>
>   The velocity I don't mind. Gives ya' a little something to worry
>about. But when you have "hyper-velocity" it is possible to aim for
>a tile and have the ball go *through* it.

The reason the ball goes through the tile is because the super cheap
implementation allows the ball to skip over the tile when its y-velocity
is at the maximum. If you set the maximum y velocity a little lower, it
won't go through the tiles.

Ali