[comp.sys.next] NeXT network security and NetInfo

sboyle@mbunix.mitre.org (Stephen V. Boyle) (08/10/89)

In article <1989Aug9.133139.4133@ee.rochester.edu> deke@ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) writes:
>I feel like its time to add my $.02 here.  Security is indeed one con-
>sideration here, but so is 'correct' network behaviour.  Not everyone
>is network connected to the arpanet, but those who are have additional
>concerns.

The majority of posters addressing security have been talking about booting
from the OD, but no one has mentioned the holes in NetInfo. Personally, I'm
at least equally concerned with the NetInfo model and behavior. It's fairly
trivial to make any machine behave as the NetInfo master, and it's no fun at
all to get the Cube to behave in an Ethernet/YP environment that is not pure
NeXT.

NetInfo is fine for anyone who wants to use it. What I don't understand is
why it gets in the way of other things. If NeXT is really serious about
selling into a university environment, then there should have been (should be)
a lot more emphasis on making the machine behave in a heteregeneous network
environment. Many of the people in my System Support class are administering
networks of 100+ systems, and you can bet that they don't have 100+ Cubes.
I'd be happy if I could just turn off NetInfo without having to resort to
tricks like destroying databases, etc.

Now it may be that I'm very confused, in that I missed something that would
make life easier with NetInfo, or that there are some extrememely compelling
reasons why NetInfo wasn't designed to co-exist YP, et. al. I realize that
many of the features of NetInfo are there to support the "world on a floptical"
concept, but from what I've seen so far, that just isn't how the machines are
being used.