[comp.sys.next] Eject floptical; Insert FLOPTY

drb@F.CS.CMU.EDU (Dean Benjamin) (08/11/89)

I prefer the 2-syllable "flopty" to the 3-syllable "floptical", as used by
flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) in article <376@eedsp.gatech.edu>:
"just above the right hand corner of the flopty."
                                         ------
Did Peter coin this term, or has it appeared elsewhere?

owen@eedsp.gatech.edu (Owen Adair) (08/11/89)

In article <DRB.89Aug10132112@F.CS.CMU.EDU> drb@F.CS.CMU.EDU (Dean Benjamin) writes:
>I prefer the 2-syllable "flopty" to the 3-syllable "floptical", as used by
>flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) in article <376@eedsp.gatech.edu>:
>"just above the right hand corner of the flopty."
>                                         ------
>Did Peter coin this term, or has it appeared elsewhere?

In the DSP Lab here at Tech, we use the term od (ohh-dee) short for optical
disk. Dunno why everyone is trying to get real cute with it.
Any term with "floppy" in it is a misnomer.

:-)

-owen

--
Owen Adair, WD4FSU
Digital Signal Processing Lab, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (08/11/89)

 (Dean Benjamin) writes:
>I prefer the 2-syllable "flopty" to the 3-syllable "floptical",

I kind of like "OD" myself.  All of these flop-esque terms suffer from
the fundamental inaccuracy of the term "floppy" to describe a piece of
coated aluminum.  I understand that it's being used to describe the
portability and general usage of the media, but it sounds too folksy
for me.  Besides, verbing your term is too flopticated.

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)