[comp.sys.next] rdump, disappearing SCSI drives

wytten@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dale R. Wyttenbach) (08/10/89)

Am I missing something in the usage of rdump on The Cube?  I am trying
to rdump the SCSI drive to a Sun 3/160 running Sun OS 3.5.  The tape
drive in question is a Cipher M990 (might have the model number wrong)
We are at software release 0.9.  The command I am using is the following:

/etc/rdump 0udf 6250 julius:/dev/rmt8 /dev/rsd0a

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

We've had two cubes for about a month, and I've already had to rebuild
SCSI drives three times and an optical disk once.  I've rebuilt the SCSI
drives because I find the cubes begging for someone to 'Insert the Disk'.
When I boot the system with the optical drive, I am unable to mount the
SCSI drive.  The error message I get is '/dev/sd0a: not found'.  (/dev/sd0a
exists in the file system, but the cube doesn't recognize that the hardware
exists, I think)

 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu	     |		   wytten@umnacvx.bitnet
Computer Science Department Systems Staff--University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (08/11/89)

In article <15144@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> Dale R. Wyttenbach writes:
>				... I've rebuilt the SCSI
>drives because I find the cubes begging for someone to 'Insert the Disk'.
>When I boot the system with the optical drive, I am unable to mount the
>SCSI drive.  The error message I get is '/dev/sd0a: not found'.  (/dev/sd0a
>exists in the file system, but the cube doesn't recognize that the hardware
>exists, I think)

Is you machine normally set to boot from OD or SCSI? When you do get the
"Insert the Disk," get to the "NeXT>" prompt (with a CMD-tilde) and
try to boot from the SCSI with "bsd". If that fails, then your SCSI
might be trashed or maybe it's the cables aren't connected very well.
If "bsd" does the trick then you should set the default boot device to be
SCSI so you don't get the "Insert the Disk" prompt anymore.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com