[comp.sys.next] What is going to break this fall besides FrameMaker?

joe@oregon.uoregon.edu (Joe St Sauver) (08/08/89)

In looking through some of the files left in /tmp after running the FrameMaker
application, I noticed that it has an apparent "drop dead" date this fall
(presumably designed to coincide with the release of 1.0 and FrameMaker's
move to a commercial status).

Is this the only cube software scheduled to automatically die? I don't think
enough emphasis has been placed on the fact that at least some of what you get
in 0.9 will *break* this fall and leave you with the option of ponying up hard
cash for the commercial release or abandoning that product altogether.

Joe St Sauver

akcs.tom@ddsw1.MCS.COM (tom brusehaver) (08/10/89)

Simple, Change your clock.  Put it back to January 1, 1970 hey I know folks
who have done more than that to keep time bombed programs running.  It may
not be ethical (to put time bombs in, or override them take your pick), but
you paid hard caash to use what you got now!  They are using GNU software
**** Lets put an end to software Hoarding! ****

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (08/11/89)

In article <6249@oregon.uoregon.edu> Joe St Sauver writes:
>In looking through some of the files left in /tmp after running the FrameMaker
>application, I noticed that it has an apparent "drop dead" date this fall ...
>Is this the only cube software scheduled to automatically die? I don't think
>enough emphasis has been placed on the fact that at least some of what you get
>in 0.9 will *break* this fall...

FrameMaker was originally not intended to be bundled with the system,
and the version on the 0.9 disk is more for demo purposes. FrameMaker will
be available as a commercial product when it's ready.

Nothing else on the 0.9 disk is scheduled to break; programs like WriteNow,
Mathematica, and the development environment are all bundled with the system
and will remain that way in 1.0.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com

glc@frame.UUCP (Greg Cockroft) (08/12/89)

>Simple, Change your clock.  Put it back to January 1, 1970 hey I know folks
>who have done more than that to keep time bombed programs running.  It may
>not be ethical (to put time bombs in, or override them take your pick), but
>you paid hard caash to use what you got now!  They are using GNU software
>**** Lets put an end to software Hoarding! ****

FrameMaker software was free on the 0.9 disk and will be free on the 1.0
disk, because it is not a finished product.  The timebomb is probably
superflous because noone would want to use the old software when the new
software arrives. We won't ship manuals and bug free bits until fall,
but the 1.0 software is definetly usable. Complete with voice annotation
of documents if you so desire. Plus you can double click on your tiff files
and touch them up in icon from right within FrameMaker.

	-greg.