[comp.sys.next] BCS NeXT Newsletter

barry@arthur.uchicago.edu (08/13/89)

-
Can anyone out there give a review of the latest issue of
the BCS (Boston Computer Society) NeXT Newsletter, ``WhAT's NeXT?'' ?

I got a complementary copy of their first issue two months ago, but
their was little of substance in it, due to a lack of Cubes.
[Specifically, they described a few peripheral features of the
machine---the T-shirt, the mouse cord, the screwdriver, the black hole,
etc---and speculated about the future of color on the Cube (look for
Renderman as the 3-D scene discription language, due to NeXT's relation
with Job's other company, Pixar).]

Anyone care to comment on related matters, like the BCS NeXT User Group
(probably a pretty small group at the moment) or the BCS NeXT bulletin
Board? Are these useful things for a user to belong to ? Any general
comments on BCS?

Public service announcement: For more info, contact:

BCS:
     The Boston Computer Society, One Center Plaza, Boston, MA 02108

BCS NeXT User Group Directors:
     Dan Lavin.......................617-969-6555
     Jane McPeek.....................617-926-4027

NeXT Bulletin Board Service (currently a sub-board of Mac BBS): (for BCS Members)
     617-625-7531 (300-2400)
     617-625-6747 (300-1200) <-- Baud rates, I presume

Membership in BCS: 1 yr => $35 (regular), $28 (student); gets you 2 BCS
Newsletters, access to BCS BBS's, public domain software, meetings, plus
more stuff.

-Barry Merriman

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/13/89)

barry@arthur.uchicago.edu writes:
> etc---and speculated about the future of color on the Cube (look for
> Renderman as the 3-D scene discription language, due to NeXT's relation
> with Job's other company, Pixar).]

Correction: Pixar is not his "other company." He is, from what I have heard,
only a partner, as he only owns a quarter of the company (Pixar).

Secondly, not to be pessimistic, but RenderMan is a VERY expensive piece of
software, easily worth more than the cube itself, and everything that comes
with it. So don't expect RenderMan soon (bundling software is a great idea,
but bundling software worth more than a car (and a nice one at that) just
seems to be to much of a give-away).

Adam

|| Adam Glass, NeXT hacker for the slave-drivers at the MIT Media Laboratory ||
||                         #include <std.disclaimer>                         ||
||  %%   "Offer me anything I ask for..."         "Anything you want."   %%  ||
||  %% "I want my father back, you son of a bitch." - The Princess Bride %%  ||
||      Remember to send lots of email to: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu      ||