[comp.sys.next] How much $$ was your Cube?

barry@daisy.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) (08/15/89)

In article <7360@microsoft.UUCP> t-jondu@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Dubman) writes:

>NeXT is not going to raise the price for anything, anytime.  Look what happened
>to Apple.  Steve Jobs has become a supply-bargaining wizard, and won't buy
>any RAM chips for $37 a shot.  The cost of the parts should be monotonically
>decreasing.  I expect he'll keep the business price where it is and lower
>the academic price in a year or two.  Intuition says it'll bottom out at
>about $4000 for the current model.  The RAM will come way down, but the
>monitor ain't cheap and I think he's already getting a bargain on the optical
>drive.

Not so---here at the University of Chicago, the Cube started out
selling at $7195 several months ago (and currently, I think), already
a 10% markup over the original $6500 figure.

How much do they sell for at other places? Are they actually $6500
anywhere? Anyone get them at < $6500 ?

(This would certainly seem to be
necessary in the near future: not only have Sun, DEC, and Silicon Graphics
introduced ~ $10k super-workstations, but the Aug 14 Infoworld (last page)
claims that Atari will shortly announce a 68030 based workstation
with System V Unix, 8Mb, hard disc and 1200 x 900 momochrome screen for $3000,
and a color version for $5000---so NeXT is getting squeezed from the
high end and the low end.)

-Barry Merriman

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (08/15/89)

In article <4997@tank.uchicago.edu> barry@daisy.UUCP (Barry Merriman) writes:
>In article <7360@microsoft.UUCP> t-jondu@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>>
>>NeXT is not going to raise the price for anything, anytime.  Look what happened
>
>Not so---here at the University of Chicago, the Cube started out
>selling at $7195 several months ago (and currently, I think), already
>a 10% markup over the original $6500 figure.

The extra $695 someone's markup.  The $6500 figure quoted excludes
university markup for costs of support, etc.

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213