[comp.sys.next] SUing to root

bjornl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Bjorn Levidown) (08/08/89)

Help!
	I can't seem to su to root after logging in on my own account.  I'm
a member of the wheel group, just like the manual says.  So why does the
Cube keep on telling me I don't have privledges to su to root?  Any and
all help is appreciated.

Bjorn Levidow				|             "I'm wet and I'm in pain
Dept of Psychology			|	     and I'm STILL hysterical!"
University of Washington		|
Bjornl@blake.acs.edu (I think)		|

chris@ntvax.uucp (Chris Britton) (08/10/89)

In article <3149@blake.acs.washington.edu> bjornl@blake.UUCP (Bjorn Levidown) writes:
>Help!
>	I can't seem to su to root after logging in on my own account.  I'm
>a member of the wheel group, just like the manual says.  So why does the
>Cube keep on telling me I don't have privledges to su to root?  Any and
>all help is appreciated.

Are you running NetInfo?  If so, simply editing "/etc/group" and adding your
login to the "wheel" group won't work.

Try logging in as "root" and running NetInfo.

	1.  Double click on "groups".
	2.  Double click on "wheel".
	3.  Click on "edit" in the NetInfo menu.
	4.  Click on "new" in the edit submenu.
	5.  Double click on the new entry that is created. (_edit_me_ I think)
	6.  Change that to match your login
	7.  Quit NetInfo.

Hope this helps.

--------

Chris Britton	chris@dept.csci.unt.edu
		{attctc,iex,convex,utd,texsun}!ntvax!chris
		University of North Texas   817-565-2279

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (08/15/89)

[SUing to root and netInfo]

Can someone at NeXT please tell us the reasoning behind making the passwd
and group files in the /etc directory nothing more than an unused text file?
Shouldn't vipw have the ability to update your netInfo for you?

Michael Rutman
Softmed

dz@casaba.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (08/16/89)

In article <246300035@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Can someone at NeXT please tell us the reasoning behind making the passwd
>and group files in the /etc directory nothing more than an unused text file?
>Shouldn't vipw have the ability to update your netInfo for you?

They're not totally useless.  You can use niload and nidump to move info
between netinfo and the actual passwd and group files.  vipw and passwd
only affect the files in /etc, and must be followed by an niload to take
effect.  It would be very advisable to do an nidump beforehand, as well.
These programs are like this because 0.9 is not a full public release.
1.0 will probably have something more intelligent.

| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: If it's wrong or stupid, pretend I didn't do it.        |