[comp.sys.next] modems for NeXT

dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) (08/18/89)

I just placed an order for a NeXT, and the day after
doing this my Multi-Tech modem died.  Does anyone out
there have any recommendations for a modem that would
work well with the NeXT?  9600 baud would be nice (if
affordable);  2400 baud is essential.  Any experiences
with cabling, Kermit, uucp, etc. that anyone would be
willing to share would also be appreciated.  Please
E-mail me, unless you feel there is a broader interest
in this topic.  My machine will not be on a network, so
a good modem and communications software will be pretty important.

Thanks in advance
David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) (08/18/89)

This is probably of interest to a few people out there...

In article <2169@sjuvax.UUCP> dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>I just placed an order for a NeXT, and the day after
>doing this my Multi-Tech modem died.  Does anyone out
>there have any recommendations for a modem that would
>work well with the NeXT?

Even though there is no support for trailblazers, a trailblazer plus
work very well with the Next. I was quite worried when I purchased
it because I didn't have much faith in the cube's serial port throughput.
You see, I used a 2400 baud modem for three months and during EVERY
transfer there were uart overruns and a huge number of retries.
Strangely enough, I have never gotten an overrun at 19200 baud.

Another nifty feature of the trailblazer is that you can set the
machine<->modem interface to 19200 no matter what the actual modem
to modem speed is. It helps alot with getty which I have had many problems
with.

>Any experiences
>with cabling, Kermit, uucp, etc. that anyone would be
>willing to share would also be appreciated.

You can get kermit from next archives at cs.orst.edu or j.cc.purdue.edu.
Soon, there will be a mailserver set up on my machine so that people
without access to an internet site can get ahold of some of the PD stuff
floating around. I'll make an announcement here when that is ready later.

>My machine will not be on a network, so
>a good modem and communications software will be pretty important.

That is one area of this system that I am incredibly disappointed with
right now. MOST of the people who buy these damn things, including me,
are not on some huge university network. They have totally ignored
the need for telecommunications other than through ethernet. Right now,
you can't even use the same modem for dialing in and dialing out
without becoming the superuser everytime you want to poll you mail connection.
(I have found a way around this but, it is such a kludge, I'm emabarassed to
talk about it).

Not only do they need to add some kind of port arbitrator (acucntrl???), but
they also need to provide something with more functionality than tip for
calling other systems!

Chris
--
Chris Whatley			chari@nueces.cactus.org