[comp.sys.next] NeXT and the Business World

barry@arthur.uchicago.edu (Barry Merriman) (08/22/89)

In article <5528@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcc.tti.com writes:
>We had a NeXT demonstration here last week.

               [deletions]

>The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
>Citicorp(+)TTI

I assume by ``here'' you mean at Citicorp. I would be interested
in knowing what the business folk thought of the machine, since
NeXT has supposedly altered their target audience to include
businesses (with, of course, a base price of $10k instead of $6.5k).
In particular, does Citicorp plan to purchase any?

-Barry Merriman
Dept. of Mathematics,
Univ. of Chicago

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/23/89)

In article <5112@tank.uchicago.edu> barry@arthur.UUCP (Barry Merriman) writes:
}In article <5528@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcc.tti.com writes:
}>We had a NeXT demonstration here last week.

}I assume by ``here'' you mean at Citicorp. I would be interested
}in knowing what the business folk thought of the machine, since
}NeXT has supposedly altered their target audience to include
}businesses (with, of course, a base price of $10k instead of $6.5k).
}In particular, does Citicorp plan to purchase any?

First, note that I work for Citicorp(+)TTI. "TTI" is Transaction
Technology, Incorporated.  We're Citicorp's systems division -- a wholly
owned subsidiary.  What that means in this context is we're mostly techies
here.  I've no idea what, if anything, the business end of Citicorp might
want with a NeXT box.

As for purchasing any, some of our line managers are salivating a bit and
trying to come up with a reasonable excuse. (The techies, of course, are
positively drooling. (-: ) Our Advanced Technology section might get one
to play with (they seem to get one of everything, sooner or later).
Likewise the bank-at-home folks, to make sure our stuff can talk to it.

Fact is, most of our development is done on Vaxen and cross-compiled to
run on proprietary Unix(tm) boxes.  I've had nothing but a VT100 or
equivalent on my desk for the last 5 years.  Convincing upper management
that we all need $15K(*) workstations, when the VT100's are demonstrably
adequate, is going to be problematical, at best.

Personally, on the other hand, I'm wondering what to do with some stock
options that fall due next year.  NeXT is certainly an impressive system
and my old Osborne 1 (tan case -- a real antique) has just about outlived
its usefulness.  Hmmm ... (-:

(*)Why $15K?  I think the minimum configuration for serious software
development would have to include a hard disk (magneto-opticals are too
slow) and their laser printer is really the way to go for hard copy.  Your
mileage may vary.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum