[comp.sys.next] Reading Mail on another cube

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/16/89)

"Is there any way to read my mail on [elsewhere] from this cube
[using the NeXT Mail utility]?"

Now, who was it who said that every problem has an answer that's
simple, obvious, and WRONG?  This is an "rMail" script--you use
it like rlogin, but it provides a remote Mail rather than an
interactive shell.  (more comments follow)

------- cut here -------
#!/bin/csh -f
set noglob
set app=$0
set app=$app:t
if ($app =~ r*) then
	set app=`expr $app : r\\\(.\*\\\)`
	foreach w ($path)
		if (-d $w/${app}.app) then
			set app=$w/${app}.app/$app
			break
		endif
	end
else
	echo "${0}: what am I?"
	exit 1
endif
if ($#argv == 0) then
	echo "Usage: $0 hostname [-l username] [args]"
	exit 1
else
	set remote=$1 ; shift
	if ($1 == -l) then
		set user=$2 ; shift ; shift
		exec /usr/ucb/rsh $remote -l $user -n exec $app -Host \
`hostname` $*:q
	else
		exec /usr/ucb/rsh $remote -n exec $app -Host `hostname` $*:q
	endif
endif
------- cut here -------

You can try linking this to other names, like rTerminal, and see
what happens.  Be careful with rShell--I got nmserver to panic
and die (not sure I can reproduce this).  The check for a .app/
directory really should be done on the remote machine.

Feedback to comp.sys.next.

					-=EPS=-

brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) (08/23/89)

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>"Is there any way to read my mail on [elsewhere] from this cube
>[using the NeXT Mail utility]?"

>Feedback to comp.sys.next.

1. You must have the application in YOUR SHELL's path.  This
    screwed me up because I'd just rcp'd my favorite .cshrc onto
    the NeXT.

2. You must be running a PUBLIC window server - click on the picture
    of the CuBE in the Preferences application, and then check beside
    (Can you guess?) Public Window Server.

Ok, after a couple bruises and gouges in my forehead (from banging it
against that neat looking black box), I got it to work.  I BELIEVE!

Now the serious questions: Where is this documented?  Is Eric psychic?
"Ommmm, Ommmm, It's the -Host option..."

Is this something that's going to be useful?  I mean, is Next going to
make available their code, so that we can run applications on the
super-mini in the basement and have them display here on my desk?

Sun is also supposedly using Display PostScript for windows; I don't
suppose there's any chance that.... Nah.

Brian

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (08/24/89)

In article <15349@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> brsmith@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Brian R. Smith) writes:
}Sun is also supposedly using Display PostScript for windows; I don't
}suppose there's any chance that.... Nah.

"Nah" is right.  According to the NeXT rep I talked to, Sun reverse
engineered their Display PostScript and went their own way from there.  It
isn't and probably won't be compatible with NeXT displays.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum