From John_Corey@NeXT.COM Mon Aug 14 12:31:27 1989
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 89 11:27:16 PDT
From: John_Corey@NeXT.COM
To: hunt@tramp
Subject: Re: Graphics info wanted for the NeXT...
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

Presently, the NeXT system is not certified to be used in a
non-business enviroment.  Apartments are an example of places
which are off limits.  The problem is that the certification
has to be held up until the board is complete (the bus buffer
chip has still to be release.  The chip allows other manu-
factures to plug in cards with little work in the area
of the backplain interface).

baker

---

   Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by this.  I apologize to the
sender that I have not, as of yet, replied directly him as to the
exact reason for this home ban or any other details (I felt this
topic would be more fruitful as a public discussion).   I assume the
cause is the FCC (when "certification" is mentioned).
   I know that the FCC is a hard master to please when it comes to
this certification as evidenced by the kludges and hacks I have seen
on PC boards in order to achieve certification.  I also know that
certification takes time, and the FCC is a busy government agency.
But, I still thought that the NeXT was certified (I've sure heard
of enough people having them at home).
   So, it may be that my head has been in the sand and that this is
old news.  But if it isn't, I feel people should know about it.

--Lee

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (08/15/89)

hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt) writes:
> and using it at my apartment.  This is one of the responses I received:

> From: John_Corey@NeXT.COM
> Presently, the NeXT system is not certified to be used in a
> non-business enviroment.  Apartments are an example of places
> which are off limits.

This may well be true.  However, in my experience, the NeXT system
is much less RF-noisy than many other systems that are consumer-certified.

On the other hand, apartments are pretty bad because there might be a
TV set on the other side of the wall against which you put your cube.

Many people may have cubes in their apartments; only if neighbors complain
will anyone do anything about it.  (Or, if you happen to emit enough RF to
blow up FAA communications . . .)

-tom

chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) (08/15/89)

In article <10750@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt) writes:
>using it at my apartment.  This is one of the responses I received:

>From: John_Corey@NeXT.COM
>>Presently, the NeXT system is not certified to be used in a
>>non-business enviroment.  Apartments are an example of places
>>which are off limits.  The problem is that the certification
>>has to be held up until the board is complete (the bus buffer
>>chip has still to be release.

For one thing, I broke the law for more than five months without knowing
it since I had my Next in my apartment from January to May. Thank you for
telling me UT MicroCenter (Or maybe Next should have told them!). At least
now I know what that big ol' socket is. I hope that "apartment" relly means
apartment here since I now have it in a house.

So, tell me, do we also get the bus chip with the 1.0 upgrade?

--
Chris Whatley			chari@nueces.cactus.org
P.O. Box 50254			!nueces!chari@cs.utexas.edu

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (08/15/89)

I don't believe that there is any *law against* using NeXT in the home.
It is merely the case that the FCC has (t least) two levels of certification:
low and high.  A box must get a low rating if it is going to be advertised
as a "home" computer (presumbably to protect the TV viewers nearby).

Since people rarely watch TV at work, a high rating is called an office
rating.  You can certainly take it home.

Now--is there a law that says that if one person runs equipment that
disturbs another person's TV reception, that second person has recourse?

                                                                      lee

bruceh@zygot.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (08/16/89)

In article <305@nueces.UUCP>, chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:

> So, tell me, do we also get the bus chip with the 1.0 upgrade?

Yes you do, and a new PROM so if anyone has written thier software to
bind itself to a cretian cube via the unique ethernet address[copy
protection] they are screwed because 1.0 changes this address [as near
as I have heard]

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bruce Henderson                                       Software Engineer

carlson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (08/25/89)

>Written 10:14 am  Aug 15, 1989 by UH2@PSUVM.BITNET
>It is merely the case that the FCC has (t least) two levels of certification:
>low and high.  A box must get a low rating if it is going to be advertised
>as a "home" computer (presumbably to protect the TV viewers nearby).
>
>Since people rarely watch TV at work, a high rating is called an office
>rating.  You can certainly take it home.

This is backwards. The low (Class A) rating is for office environments,
since a little RF interference won't hurt other machines.
TV's in homes will display ANY RF noise in the area, so home usage
requires the higher (Class B) certification.
I.e. TV viewers need MORE protection than, say, the office copier
or other computers.
Brad Carlson  <carlson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu> or <brad-carlson@uiuc.edu>
University of Illinos--Micro Resource Center--NeXT guru