[comp.sys.next] USING OD's to backup other boxes

BARNHILL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (08/24/89)

Is anyone using the NeXT to back up other machines?  Our box, er, cube,
sits most evenings with nothing to do but dim screens and veg., so we
thought those lovely huge optical disks might serve to back up some of
our larger boxes, such as our Apple A/ux box, etc.  We've done ftp back
and forth, but this is not a very automatic solution, nor is it hard to
envision batching that would carry this off.

Anyone tried anything so that we don't reinvent the wheel?

David Barnhill

nctingue@ndsuvax.UUCP (Mark Tinguely) (08/26/89)

In article <9632@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> BARNHILL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>...we thought those lovely huge optical disks might serve to back up some of
>our larger boxes, such as our Apple A/ux box, etc.  We've done ftp back
>and forth, but this is not a very automatic solution, nor is it hard to
>envision batching that would carry this off.

>David Barnhill

Check and see if A/UX has remote dump/restore capabilities. I know Berkeley
released their rmt program (which is already on the NeXT), but they did
not release the dump facilty (must still have AT&T code in it).

With remote dump facilities you can backup a filesystem across the network.

--
Mark Tinguely           North Dakota State University,  Fargo, ND  58105
  UUCP:       		...!uunet!ndsuvax!nctingue

pvo3366@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (08/29/89)

In article <9632@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> BARNHILL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Anyone tried anything so that we don't reinvent the wheel?

It works, but hardly recommended as a primary backup: