[comp.sys.next] Mail Attachment: and voicemail standards

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (08/29/89)

lacsap@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Pascal Chesnais) wrote:
> It would be a good idea for people to mention if they can receive
> NeXT attachments in mail.

I have successfully decoded a NeXT Voice attachment on my SPARCstation
and played it through the speaker.  Is there a spec (available to the
public) on the exact format of the Attachment: header and what it
means?  We have needed automatic file attach for some time (shar is a
poor stopgap); if NeXT has designed a good one, the rest of the RFC 822
world should consider adopting it.

While I'm asking, is there also public doc on the voice file
format?  There seems to be some control info on the front (which makes
minor noises when played back as raw audio by my kludge).  I'd like
to make the SPARCstations and the NeXT's actually interoperate, that
is to say, follow the same standard, for voicemail.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
Love your country but never trust its government.