[comp.sys.next] NeXT Developer's Camp

binde@pilot.njin.net (Beth Binde) (08/30/89)

Has anyone attended the NeXT Developer's camp.  Any feeback?  Was it
worthwhile?

Beth
binde@rutgers.edu

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (08/30/89)

In article <Aug.29.21.32.52.1989.9976@pilot.njin.net> binde@pilot.njin.net (Beth Binde) writes:

>Has anyone attended the NeXT Developer's camp.  Any feeback?  Was it
>worthwhile?

The camp is *very* worthwhile.  It is also quite intensive.  Most
of the four days I spent out there were 8-11 days.  Not the 3 hour
version - the 15 hour version.  In addition to the walk-through of
most of the capabilities of the machine and some of the program
development philosophies, you get a chance to meet many of the
people who design and maintain the machine.  This is a good place
to bring your pile of questions on the machine and get them answered
by the people that really know.

The course is split into lectures with questions and answers (each
lecture is usually led by someone who specializes in that area) and
labs where you get a chance to experiment with the machines and work
on some real projects.

You also get to see what other people are interested in the machine
plan on doing.  And, perhaps one of the most important side effects
of the training is that you get to see the attitude of the people
working for NeXT.  That was probably one of the most unusual and
most interesting things I learned that week:  The people out there
are really excited about their product and *really* interested in
your feedback.

Gerrit Huizenga
NeXT Workstation Support
Purdue University Computing Center
gerrit@cc.purdue.edu

rose@atexnet.UUCP (Robert Rose) (08/30/89)

I attended the NeXT developers camp in April.

It was GREAT!!  I highly recommend it for several reasons:

1) In depth instruction on all aspects of the NeXT

2) LABS!  I hate courses where you sit at a table taking notes all
week and then you have to go back to your job to try it all out.

3) People ('networking').  I met many wonderful and very interesting
people from other companies, as well as from NeXT.  I thought it was
great how NeXT brought employees in (different ones every day) for
us to talk to and meet.

All in all it was very worthwile and highly recommended.

Bob Rose
Eastman Kodak  Boston Technology Center
Bedford, MA

UUCP: ...ll-xn!atexnet!rose

(617) 276-7757

bruceh@zygot.ati.com (Bruce Henderson) (08/31/89)

In article <Aug.29.21.32.52.1989.9976@pilot.njin.net>, binde@pilot.njin.net (Beth Binde) writes:

> Has anyone attended the NeXT Developer's camp.  Any feeback?  Was it
> worthwhile?
I feel that it made programming the machine and the interaction between
the various AppKit objects a lot clearer that the Tech Doc makes it.
It was very much worth the time and money.

--
Bruce Henderson                                       Software Engineer

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (08/31/89)

Can somebody mail me the dev camp course outline?  I'd be interested to know
what it covers.  Mail me if you'd like a copy; if I get it, I'll forward it (or
post if inundated with requests).  Thanks much.
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner