[comp.sys.next] Floptical ejection snafu

t-jondu@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Dubman) (08/10/89)

Suggestion to fix optical drive ejection snafu:

This probably wouldn't pass muster with sjobs, but why not have a little
BUTTON right next to the drive slit which, when depressed, would send a message
to whatever portion of ths OS to eject the disk as soon as possible.

I realize the idea is to get as much stuff as possible off the cube and
monitor- OK- how about a little control-key sequence (ideally an "eject"
button near the power switch, dimming lights, etc. but it's too late for that)

How the heck are you supposed to get the disk out?  I seem to crash the
system during half of my inserts or attempted ejects...  Definitely not
a higher esthetic.

Question:
Is the NeXT usable with one floptical and no hard disk, besides the fact that
it's a bit slower?  Are any cubes shipped with two optical drives?

Jonathan Dubman

flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) (08/10/89)

In article <7309@microsoft.UUCP> t-jondu@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
 This probably wouldn't pass muster with sjobs, but why not have a little
 BUTTON right next to the drive slit which, when depressed, would send a message
 to whatever portion of ths OS to eject the disk as soon as possible.

 How the heck are you supposed to get the disk out?  I seem to crash the
 system during half of my inserts or attempted ejects...  Definitely not
 a higher esthetic.

 Jonathan Dubman

As I remember from readinq the documentation, that is what the little
slot is for just above the right hand corner of the flopty.  Supposedly,
you can insert something and pop out the disk in case of power failure
or something.
Peter

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (08/10/89)

In article <376@eedsp.gatech.edu> flur@eedsp.gatech.edu (Peter W. Flur) writes:
>As I remember from readinq the documentation, that is what the little
>slot is for just above the right hand corner of the flopty.  Supposedly,
>you can insert something and pop out the disk in case of power failure
>or something.

The something in question is the NeXT-issue icepick, also used to open
the case (ok, it's actually a ball hex wrench, but it *does* make a
decent icepick).  One is shipped with every machine.

  I've never had to use it to eject a disk since 0.9 came out, but
I've also never had a power failure with an OD in the drive.

-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

unclev@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Thomas J. Cleveland) (09/07/89)

In article <7309@microsoft.UUCP>, t-jondu@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
> Suggestion to fix optical drive ejection snafu:
>
> This probably wouldn't pass muster with sjobs, but why not have a little
> BUTTON right next to the drive slit which, when depressed, would send a message
> to whatever portion of ths OS to eject the disk as soon as possible.
>
> Jonathan Dubman

The small oval hole to the upper right of the optical disk
allows you to eject disk by inserting the NeXT screwdriver.

Thomas J. Cleveland