[comp.sys.next] Dev camp outline

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (09/06/89)

A while ago I asked if someone would mail me the text of an outline of the
DevCamp, offering to forward it to interested parties. In trying to notify
those who indicated interest that nobody has sent me anything, I got a lot of
bounces.  This is to let you all know you may as well not bother asking me,
since it doesn't appear likely that anyone is willing to supply the info.

If the problem is just that nobody is willing to do data entry from a printed
source, please send me a copy of the course outline/table of contents and the
reading list, and I will enter it myself.  Thanks much.
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (09/07/89)

In article <3813@asylum.SF.CA.US> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:
>A while ago I asked if someone would mail me the text of an outline of the
>DevCamp, offering to forward it to interested parties.

Here's a very rough outline. The class has evolved since January, and it's
likely to change a bit more as we start teaching it with 1.0. However
the basic breakdown given below remains (and will remain) the same:

Day 1: An overview of Objective C and an introduction to Interface Builder.
Some familiarity with the concept of object-oriented languages will help
getting through the Objective C overview. In the IB intro you become
familiar with the way IB works and the concept of "target/action" paradigm
by creating the user interface for a calculator program. If you have time,
you can also add a few lines to the already existing calculator class to
enhance its functionality.

Day 2: Drawing in NextStep. Views, windows, coordinate systems, instance
drawing, compositing, different ways to send PostScript down the line, etc.
In the afternoon lab you get to create the interface for "CompositeLab,"
a program that lets you experiment with different compositing modes.
You also get to write up some code in fixing up the incomplete CompositeView
class given to you.

Note that you need not be a PostScript god or goddess or appreciate the
lecture; in fact a minimal familiarity with PostScript (as presented in the
first few chapters of the Adobe "Blue Book") is enough... (Be familiar
with what scaling, translating, and rotating is all about, for instance.)
You will not have to write any PostScript code unless you want to.

Day 3. Advanced Drawing and Event Handling. This day goes into more detail
on drawing, including scrolling and printing. In the lab you get to take a
simple text editor and add scrolling, multiple fonts, and multiple documents.
The whole application ends up being several hundred lines.

Day 4. Misc. topics and review. "Misc topics" include the MusicKit, SoundKit,
delegation, Speaker/Listener classes, etc.  In the lab you get
to create a full application (a Paint program) from scratch,
or do your own thing.

There are also several "mini" lectures thrown in during the week,
such as one on gdb and perhaps several specialized topics.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
aozer@NeXT.com