[comp.sys.next] Saw Release 0.981 and here's some news about it...

clp@wjh12.harvard.edu (Charles L. Perkins) (09/06/89)

Tonight at the NeXT Boston Computer Society Meeting there was a system engineer
 from NeXT who showed us Release 0.981 (N.B. < 1.0) which is one of the asymp-
 totic sequence on the way to 1.0 (0.99999....).  He said 1.0 was due last week
 of Sept. or first week of Oct. and sounded serious about the statement).

New features:

  (1) Preferences -- a new timezone setting feature that is super-cool; it
	  shows the world map and allows you to click/drag timezone regions
	  (not just strips, the REAL zone) across the world to set your locale.
	-- a new Panel that allows you to place ALL application top-level
	  menus at some other location than the upper left, set the default
	  font, etc.
	-- many new Icons/formats for the old panels (some nice, some strange)

  (2) Digital Webster and Librarian have a new look but ~ same functionality.

  (3) Sound editor and voice-edit in Mail app now show your voice "bouncing"
	a strip in real time so you can "see" yourself recording.

  (4) Monsterscope plus the Spectrum Analyzer is back in the standard distrib.

  (5) BreakApp (and others) give you full musical control over sound tweaking
	in real time (play with timbre, decay, etc.).

  (6) A really beautiful real-time Algebra front-end for Mathematica was shown
	that allowed changed a,b,c,d parameters for all sorts of equations and
	M. would recalculate in real time new results; for educational uses.

  (7) Saw a beautiful side-by-side demo of Mandelbrot Set being calculated by
	68030 and DSP (DSP seemed 3-6 times faster, depending on the complexity
	of the region of M. Set being displayed).

  (8) Saw a topology lab tool that displayed 3-d shaded objects from Math.
	descriptions of their shape; somewhat slow (30-50 polygons/sec) but
	nice looking and still wonderful for deforming/playing with shapes.

  (9) Saw a beautiful marbled chess board and 3-d chess pieces as a front-end
	to GNU Chess;  piece movement seemed really nice.  [DAMN! I was going
	to do exactly this as a free software hack....but it's nice to know
	people at NeXT are serious about GNU, too!]

And their were MANY others demos and new things I couldn't play with but
 saw in the browser...  there are claimed performance enhancements in Math.
 and in the system overall (not all that obvious to me).  This release is not
 generally available, and is only an internal version, but it really encouraged
 me about the Look and Feel of 1.0.....it was very nice with lots of new good
 stuff, so I wait with bated breath for my own copy of this and more....

							With a NeXT at last,

								    Charles

mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) (09/07/89)

In article <393@wjh12.harvard.edu> clp@wjh12.UUCP (Charles L. Perkins) writes:
>Tonight at the NeXT Boston Computer Society Meeting there was a
> system engineer from NeXT who showed us Release 0.981 (N.B. < 1.0)
> which is one of the asymptotic sequence on the way to 1.0
> (0.99999....).  He said 1.0 was due last week of Sept. or first week
> of Oct. and sounded serious about the statement).

Don't they all sound serious ? ;-)  I wonder if the hold-ups are due
to?

>New features:

[stuff deleted]

>  (9) Saw a beautiful marbled chess board and 3-d chess pieces as a front-end
>	to GNU Chess;  piece movement seemed really nice.  [DAMN! I was going
>	to do exactly this as a free software hack....but it's nice to know
>	people at NeXT are serious about GNU, too!]

Okay, everyone who was thinking of doing this as well please raise
your hand :-)  Now maybe some of us can start hacking the little go
board they supply to interact with Gnugo (although it is a VERY weak
player).

> And their were MANY others demos and new things I couldn't play with
> but saw in the browser...  there are claimed performance
> enhancements in Math.  and in the system overall (not all that
> obvious to me).

This is what i think is of prime importance here.  If system speed (at
least on the graphics side) does not make a huge leap, i think this
system will start down the same road that the Lisa went.  I like the
system, but i'm not buying unless it gets MUCH faster.

>				With a NeXT at last,
>
>					Charles

				jim

------------------------------< Jim McCoy >------------------------------------
mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "...far too many notes for my taste"
#include <disclaimer.h>             |        -Phantom of the Opera
			"To thine own self be true"

guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Frank M. Guerra) (09/07/89)

In article <1131@accuvax.nwu.edu> mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) writes:
>In article <393@wjh12.harvard.edu> clp@wjh12.UUCP (Charles L. Perkins) writes:
>>Tonight at the NeXT Boston Computer Society Meeting there was a
>> system engineer from NeXT who showed us Release 0.981 (N.B. < 1.0)
>> which is one of the asymptotic sequence on the way to 1.0
>> (0.99999....).  He said 1.0 was due last week of Sept. or first week
>> of Oct. and sounded serious about the statement).
>>

>Don't they all sound serious ? ;-)  I wonder if the hold-ups are due
>to?

From what I was remember, 1.0 has already missed it's original ship date of
mid-august, but I too am confident in their claim of shipping by Oct 1.  There
were a variety of problems with the delay of 0.9 not related to the OS that
I don't see arising again.  I sincerely doubt that NeXT wants to alienate its
current following with another late release.

>> And their were MANY others demos and new things I couldn't play with
>> but saw in the browser...  there are claimed performance
>> enhancements in Math.  and in the system overall (not all that
>> obvious to me).
>
>This is what i think is of prime importance here.  If system speed (at
>least on the graphics side) does not make a huge leap, i think this
>system will start down the same road that the Lisa went.  I like the
>system, but i'm not buying unless it gets MUCH faster.

I saw (perhaps) the same version here, but I couldn't be sure of the version
number since instead of the release number in the NeXT icon, a greek Beta symbol
was there instead.  When they gave their presentation, I *immediately* noticed
that it seemed faster than what I was used to.  In my opinion, display
performance will improve in 1.0 and when I asked the NeXT rep to what extent,
he figured that a 20% improvement is close; not staggering, but better.  In
fact to show it off, there was a Saturn demo that show a moon whizzing around
the planet at a fairly brisk pace.  Also, both of the sound applications that
I saw had a peak level meter that did a very good job of keeping in sync with
the audio.

My general impression of what I remember is that a lot of nice touches have been
added. I eagerly look forward to receiving our copy.

Frank

Internet Mail : guerra@lll-crg.llnl.gov
NeXT Mail     : guerra@cae.llnl.gov

cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) (09/08/89)

According to the Wall Street Journal Sept. 7, Steve has
announced 1.0 which WILL ship to Business Land and all
over on September 18!!

That's 1.0 not .9xx

/Carl