[comp.sys.next] permanently mounting optical disk

sct@alpha.lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) (09/12/89)

Is there a way to permanently mount the optical disk so that it stays
mounted even after you have logged off?  We would like to use the optical
disk as an automatic backup device on a system containing several
workstations.  The documentation doesn't seem to help much.

-Steve Tenbrink
-sct@lanl.gov

dz@pumpkin.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (09/12/89)

In article <965@alpha.lanl.gov> sct@alpha.lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) writes:
>Is there a way to permanently mount the optical disk so that it stays
>mounted even after you have logged off?  We would like to use the optical
>disk as an automatic backup device on a system containing several
>workstations.  The documentation doesn't seem to help much.

as root:

# mkdir /opt
# mount /dev/od0a /opt

You will be requested to insert a disk.  Do so.  When you are done with
the disk:

# umount /opt
# disk -e /dev/rod0a

Notice that you must unmount, or bad things will happen.  The second
step will eject, which must be done only after unmounting, which you
should always do before ejecting.  Notice that the eject command
(which must be done only after an unmount) uses the raw device.

If you want the disk to be mounted automatically on bootup, you must
make an entry in the /etc/fstab file to indicate this.  After you
have the disk mounted, you need to copy a line from what I think is
the /etc/mtab (it may be a different file, consult the docs for fstab)
to the fstab to let the system know what's happenin' at bootup (it
gets read to indicate what systems to mount).

| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: If it's wrong or stupid, pretend I didn't do it.        |

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/12/89)

In article <965@alpha.lanl.gov> sct@alpha.lanl.gov (Stephen Tenbrink) writes:
>Is there a way to permanently mount the optical disk so that it stays
>mounted even after you have logged off?

Mount it using normal unix commands, as super-user.  The easiest way
to do this is to add a line like:
/dev/od0a        /od       4.3 rw,noquota         1 2
to /etc/fstab, and make sure the disk you want to mount is in the drive
on reboot.

Alternately, you can insert a disk in a running system, let it automount,
then, as root, umount it and mount it where you want it to be.

Either of these methods will leave the disk mounted all the time.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765