[net.followup] Removal of net.general...

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (08/03/85)

]From: lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear)
]
]Since it seems that there do seem to be some objections to the removal
]of net.general wouldn't it be best if we held some form of discussion
]before we yank it?  I suggest we do so first.  Is there that much
]garbage in net.general to warrent a move to mod.general?

Part of the problem may actually be the relative "maturity" of the net (no
I don't mean the people who post to it :-).

When there were few newsgroups, a group like net.general would probably
have been useful as a clearing house for information that a) was of
interest to a majority of the net and b) did not fit anywhere else.

These days, with well over 100 news groups, the net is big enough that
almost any discussion could fit into some specific group. For example,
consider the following typical net.general article subjects:

"For sale" ads really belong in na.forsale, net.wanted, or a regional
newsgroup.

Announcements of general interest really belong in net.announce.

Offhand topics, designed to start a discussion, could easily go into
net.misc.

If I have missed anything, you should be able, with some thought, to find a
better place than net.general for it.

Unfortunately, as the net has evolved, net.general hasoutgrown its raison
d'etre and should go th that great netnode in the sky.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

mcferrin@inuxc.UUCP (P McFerrin) (08/04/85)

> Since it seems that there do seem to be some objections to the removal
> of net.general wouldn't it be best if we held some form of discussion
> before we yank it?  I suggest we do so first.  Is there that much
> garbage in net.general to warrent a move to mod.general?
>
> 					eliot lear

Heck.... net.general is "tame" now.  A lot of the junk/noise/garbage
is now appearing in the new newsgroup "net.bizzare".  Let's see what
happens to this newgroup and maybe we can just leave it alone.
If all the "stuff" keeps appearing in net.bizzare, I'll just unsubscribe
to that news group.