[comp.sys.next] More problems with serial ports

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (09/17/89)

We have our cube set up as an NFS server and are using the two serial ports
for modems.  We experienced the problem with cua/ttyda that has been talked
about here.  Occasionally the port would lock up after use by a dial out
process and getty would be unable to reestablish its connection to the port.
As a work around we have set up separate modems for dial in and dial out.
This works fine.  However, we have found that when a user logs in to the
NeXT from the ethernet, spurious characters are transmitted to the serial
port.  It is my feeling that there is a problem with the handling of the
character special files for the serial ports such that when they are looked
at to find if they are in use, spurious characters are transmitted.

Am I way off base?  Does anyone know about this, or has anyone experienced
this problem?

On another front, I am working on a biomedical problem that will require
some basic signal processing.  Has anyone information as to whether the
array processing routines for the DSP have made the 1.0 release?

Incidentally, Hurray for the developers camp! I attended in March and it
was rivaled in usefulness and intensity only by the best SIGGRAPH sessions.

Steve.
smb@datran2.uunet.uu.net

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (09/17/89)

In article <413@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>port.  It is my feeling that there is a problem with the handling of the
>character special files for the serial ports such that when they are looked
>at to find if they are in use, spurious characters are transmitted.
>
>Am I way off base?  Does anyone know about this, or has anyone experienced
>this problem?

It might be unrelated, but we've had problems when someone has logged in
on a serial port and they tried to telnet to another machine at that point.
What happens is kind of indeterminate.  I talked with Cal Thixton of NeXT and
he said that they found a the bug which was causing this.

>On another front, I am working on a biomedical problem that will require
>some basic signal processing.  Has anyone information as to whether the
>array processing routines for the DSP have made the 1.0 release?

Yes, they did.
--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213