[comp.sys.next] Meta key for emacs

bates@hera.stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates) (09/22/89)

The documentatin for 0.9 mentioned somewhere that there was a meta key
modifier that could be used with emacs within the Terminal
application.  I could never get it to work.  I thought that the
documentation may be inaccurate and it seemed best to just wait for
release 1.0

I haven't checked through all the documentation for release 1.0 yet to
see if there is any mention of a meta key.  Could someone tell me if
either the <Alternate> or the <Command> keys will work. (I tried both
but neither seemed to work.)  I suppose I could get used to typing a
lot of <ESC>'s but I am rather spoiled with using a meta key.

Also, is anyone working on a NextStep(tm) interface for emacs?  About
a year ago there were some modifications posted for GNU emacs to allow
it to talk directly to Sun's NeWS window server.  It seems that those
might provide a good jumping off point for a NextStep interface.

cox@Franz.COM (Charles A. Cox) (09/23/89)

In article <BATES.89Sep21205615@hera.stat.wisc.edu> bates@hera.stat.wisc.edu (Douglas Bates) writes:

>I haven't checked through all the documentation for release 1.0 yet to
>see if there is any mention of a meta key.  Could someone tell me if
>either the <Alternate> or the <Command> keys will work. (I tried both
>but neither seemed to work.)  I suppose I could get used to typing a
>lot of <ESC>'s but I am rather spoiled with using a meta key.

I can't answer your question about the Terminal application, but if you put
the form `(setq meta-flag t)' in your .emacs file, then the `Command' key
will function as Meta for emacs.

	Charley
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
Internet: cox@franz.com           Berkeley, CA  94704
uucp:     uunet!franz!cox         Phone: (415) 548-3600    FAX: (415) 548-8253