[comp.sys.next] Ethernet?

c60c-4ad@WEB.berkeley.edu (09/14/89)

Hello,

We have two NeXT machines we would like to hook up to the ethernet. We have the
ethernet connections ready.. all we do not have is a viable way to hook
up the NeXts with their thin ether net connections to the thick ethernet
cabling used here at UC Berkeley.

Could someone please send some information on who to contact, what to do, or which kit to get to get us connected?

As far as we know, there aren't any NeXt machines on the UC Berkeley campus
hooked up to the ethernet.

Thanks.

Shin C. Kao
skao@steve.berkeley.edu

pc@spt.entity.com (Peter Castagna) (09/16/89)

In article <31295@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-4ad@WEB.berkeley.edu () writes:
>.. all we do not have is a viable way to hook
>up the NeXts with their thin ether net connections to the thick ethernet
>cabling used here at UC Berkeley.
>
>As far as we know, there aren't any NeXt machines on the UC Berkeley campus
>hooked up to the ethernet.
>
>Shin C. Kao
>skao@steve.berkeley.edu

To hook up a thin (Cheapernet) ethernet connection to the thick (yellow)
cabling network requires (to assure that the connection will always work) the
purchase of the following equipment:

Ethernet repeater for yellow cable to Cheapernet
AUI Cable (3 to 10 meters or so should be adequate--just long enough to
	let you shove the repeater under a counter somewhere out of the way).

You must meet the planning constraints for both the yellow and Cheapernet
cabling, to wit:

Check with the guys who install and maintain the network hardware to verify
that you can in fact install another repeater (they will also tell you where
to hook it up, will take over maintenance, and will possibly even supply you
with the hardware).  These people aren't just fascists: a number of bizarre
behavior problems are caused by having too many repeaters in series, or having
too long a cable length between machines, or purchasing repeaters that almost
but not quite work with existing network equipment.  Also, plugging something
like a small, high-capacity cluster of NeXt cubes into the network may require
more-expensive connection equipment (such as an Ethernet MAC Bridge) depending
on the amount of actual traffic that the cubes will put onto the network.
This is to prevent the cluster traffic (most of which will be cube-to-cube and
doesn't have to go out of the cluster) from getting onto the campus network
when it doesn't have to.

Of course, if there is no network maintenance guy, just buy the hardware (many
companies, such as BICC/British Telecomm and Cabletron/New Hampshire advertise
in trade journals and Local Area Network magazines that you can read at most
university libraries-just call up the number and ask for data sheets and
pricing in single-lot quantities for Cheapernet to Ethernet repeaters), hook it
up late some evening to an Ethernet spigot, and hook up your cluster with
less than 100M of cheapernet cable to the repeater.  The repeater will have
indicators to show whether there is traffic present and whether the repeater
is in a fault mode.

If the traffic indicator is not flashing for the Ethernet side you should plug
in a (borrowed) piece of Ethernet AUI equipment in to verify that the spigot
is working.

If the spigot is working, then you must replace the repeater (there will always
be some overhead traffic using the network, even during hours when nobody is
logged in over the network) or the AUI cable (a proper AUI Cable will have
802.3 AUI written on the plastic cable).

If any fault lamp on the Repeater is lit, first power cycle (i.e., turn the
power off then on) the Repeater before you believe there is an actual network
fault.  Some of those things act funny when you plug and unplug things into
them.

If at this point (traffic lamp flashing on the Ethernet side, no fault lamps
lit) you can not run network software without it crashing (I have no idea of
what message comes up when the network is not accessible on a NeXt) write down
the state (on and off) of all LED's on the repeater and call up the panic
number written in the repeater documentation next morning.  That person will
then (probably) run you through a checklist, and, when you tell them you have
a NeXt cube hooked up, they might even be interested.

If this doesn't help...

george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (George "Sir Lleb" Zipperlen) (09/19/89)

I'm not very hardware knowledgeable, so please be kind...

We have a campus-wide fibre-optical net which is connected in our
lab to a Desta.  The Desta has two thin coax outlets and a multi-pin
plug which connects to a Delni to which we connect all of our Ethernet
gateway machines.  One of the thin coax connectors is connected to
the fibre-optics box, the other is free.

I tried connecting a thin-coax from the NeXt to the Desta, but this
didn't work too well, none of the machines on the local net could
talk to each other until I disconnected the NeXt. (I disconnected
from the Campus net while trying this.)  I had previously arranged
an internet address for the NeXt, and run NetManager.  (We're using
0.9, booting from hard disk).

Am I doing something wrong in the software configuration, or is there
another piece of hardware I need to put this all together?  Or is this
something that won't work until 1.0 is released?  Documentation is
still rather sparse.
--
George Zipperlen    george@apollo.lap.upenn.edu  george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu
  ...!{rutgers, uunet, mit-eddie, decwrl}!upenn.edu!apollo.lap!george

dennis@yang.cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry) (09/19/89)

   From: pc@spt.entity.com (Peter Castagna)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 16 Sep 89 16:58:31 GMT

   In article <31295@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-4ad@WEB.berkeley.edu () writes:
   >.. all we do not have is a viable way to hook
   >up the NeXts with their thin ether net connections to the thick ethernet
   >cabling used here at UC Berkeley.
   >
   >As far as we know, there aren't any NeXt machines on the UC Berkeley campus
   >hooked up to the ethernet.
   >
   >Shin C. Kao
   >skao@steve.berkeley.edu

   To hook up a thin (Cheapernet) ethernet connection to the thick (yellow)
   cabling network requires (to assure that the connection will always work) the
   purchase of the following equipment:

   Ethernet repeater for yellow cable to Cheapernet
   AUI Cable (3 to 10 meters or so should be adequate--just long enough to
	   let you shove the repeater under a counter somewhere out of the way).

This is not true.  All you need to go from thick to thin cable
is a small connector that connects to thick coax on one end and
thin coax on the other.  This article is being posted through
such a setup.  Repeaters are expensive.

Of course, there may be an impedance mismatch that limits the
maximum size of your network, but it's working fine here with a
200 meter segment.  Also, the entire segment will jam if you
open the loop, but it does work.

All in all, it's a reasonable solution for people who don't mind
educating all users on a segment that it's not OK to open it up.

Dennis
(dennis@yang.cpac.washington.edu)

george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (George "Sir Lleb" Zipperlen) (09/21/89)

In article <14507@netnews.upenn.edu> george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (George "Sir Lleb" Zipperlen) writes:
[ I asked about connecting NeXt to a Desta via thin ethernet. ]

Several kind people have explained T-connectors and terminators to me.
Thanks for your help.  As soon as the bureaucracy has done it's thing,
I can try this out.
--

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (09/27/89)

In article <DENNIS.89Sep18205830@yang.cpac.washington.edu> dennis@yang.cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry) writes:

>   In article <31295@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-4ad@WEB.berkeley.edu () writes:
>   >.. all we do not have is a viable way to hook
>   >up the NeXts with their thin ether net connections to the thick ethernet
>   >cabling used here at UC Berkeley.
>
>All you need to go from thick to thin cable is a small connector that connects
>to thick coax on one end and thin coax on the other.

We have a slightly different situation here, but with the same problem, i.e.
how to connect our NeXT.  We have a BICC Fan-out unit, which is basically an
ethernet-in-a-box, *including* all transceivers.  All you need to do is run an
AUI cable from the box to the (thick) ethernet connector on your computer, and
away you go.  Of course, the NeXT has only the thin ethernet connector, with
its own transceiver on-board.

So, the question becomes, "how does one eliminate one or the other of these
transceivings?"  We are told that there is some other box which will interface
between the two, which will cost ~$700.  We would obviously like to avoid this
additional, unexpected charge.  Does anyone have any other solutions?

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet