[comp.sys.next] hostname resolution

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (09/25/89)

Thanks to Pascal Chesnais and Doug Brenner for pointing out that, sadly,
this behavior is a documented feature and is part of the version of BIND that
NeXT uses.

The BIND appendix in the SysAdmin section of the manuals says that the
domain in the boot file (or resolv.conf file) is appended to names which
do not contain a dot in them (hence, F.WORD does not qualify even though
if BIND did append the domain it would find the name).

Workarounds exist, but a better BIND would be on my wishlist for 1.1.

...eric

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

mmeyer@next.com (Morris Meyer) (09/26/89)

In article <6262@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:
>Workarounds exist, but a better BIND would be on my wishlist for 1.1.

BIND 4.8 will be in the next release.

		--morris

Morris Meyer		NeXT, Inc.
Software Engineer	3475 Deer Creek Road