[comp.sys.next] Slow when on a network?

fad@kulla (Franklin A Davis) (09/25/89)

I notice that even under 1.0, BreakApp is really slow and jerky.  My
NeXT is on a network with lots of Suns, Vaxen, and Lisp Machines.  A
few dozen filesystems are nfs mounted on the NeXT.

I though the "Mainframe on two chips" was supposed to take care of
handling the network, freeing the CPU...  Any ideas why the machine is
so boringly plodding?

I'm not running any other apps, except preferences and the Browser.

--Franklin

  franklin a davis  Thinking Machines Corp. Cambridge, MA 02142   617-876-1111
  <fad@think.com>   {ames, harvard, mit-eddie, uunet}!think!fad
				Let the four winds blow you safely home!

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (09/25/89)

In article <30018@news.Think.COM> fad@think.com (Franklin A Davis) writes:
>I notice that even under 1.0, BreakApp is really slow and jerky.  My
>NeXT is on a network with lots of Suns, Vaxen, and Lisp Machines.  A
>few dozen filesystems are nfs mounted on the NeXT.

You must have some system daemon going wild, perhaps because of something
on your network.  I currently have 36 NFS file systems mounted on my machine
and BreakApp has no problem at all.  If you know how, you might try running
a "ps" in a Terminal to see if there are any processes eating up cpu
cycles.

Also, is it possible that someone is logged in to your machine over the
network?
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Manager, Systems Software

fad@kulla (Franklin A Davis) (09/27/89)

In article <6255@pt.cs.cmu.edu> avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) writes:
>In article <30018@news.Think.COM> fad@think.com (Franklin A Davis) writes:
>>I notice that even under 1.0, BreakApp is really slow and jerky.  My
>>NeXT is on a network with lots of Suns, Vaxen, and Lisp Machines.  A
>>few dozen filesystems are nfs mounted on the NeXT.
>
>You must have some system daemon going wild, perhaps because of something
>on your network.  I currently have 36 NFS file systems mounted on my machine
>and BreakApp has no problem at all.  If you know how, you might try running
>a "ps" in a Terminal to see if there are any processes eating up cpu
>cycles.

I think you're right, because I tried it again, and now there's no problem.

ps says the tasks
	(kernel-task)
and
	/NextApps/Shell -MachLaunch 18 124

are the only very busy ones.  I'm surprised that they each use about
1/3 of elapsed wall-clock time in cpu time, but I suppose there's a
lot of system stuff involved in drawing etc.  Thanks for your suggestion.

>Also, is it possible that someone is logged in to your machine over the
>network?

No, no one knows about it yet :-)