[comp.sys.next] Modems for dialing in and out

chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (09/28/89)

I've set up UUCP on my machine, and now I'd dearly love to
use the same modem for dialing in and out.  The question:
how to I put a getty on a serial line, and make it available
for uucp (and kermit/tip) to dial out at the same time?

Thanks,
R. Martin Chavez
Stanford University School of Medicine

P.S. By the way, I couldn't get the version of uucp that NeXT
included with the 0.9 system to work.  I ended up ftp'ing new
sources from a sun-4 very far away.  I also needed to hack
/etc/sendmail/sendmail.cf in order to get everything right.
Has anybody out there made similar observations?

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (09/28/89)

I think we need to cull this expertise that people have on the net about
this and put in a place to tell people where to look.  Gerritt?

In article <4932@lindy.Stanford.EDU> chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) writes:
>I've set up UUCP on my machine, and now I'd dearly love to
>use the same modem for dialing in and out.  The question:
>how to I put a getty on a serial line, and make it available
>for uucp (and kermit/tip) to dial out at the same time?

1)	put the modem on Serial Port A.  Serial Port B, if you look closely
	at the 1.0 User's Reference on pp. 384-385, is not the same as Port A

2)	Make sure the cable you have connects DCD on the modem to pin 7 on
	Serial Port A.  Otherwise, this signal won't be available to the
	driver for determining which open (/dev/ttyda, or /dev/cua) call
	to service.

3)	Use /dev/cua to do dial outs.

4)	Enable dialins on /dev/ttyda

>P.S. By the way, I couldn't get the version of uucp that NeXT
>included with the 0.9 system to work.
[stuff about getting sources from pony express deleted]

I didn't find this necessary this time around, I found that a
Telebit modem worked just fine once I put it on

	DIR cua unused 19200 direct

I just put a dialing/config script in /etc/uucp/L.sys for the systems I call.

I couldn't get telebittone to work, but this says more about the parameter
settings on the Telebit than about the dialer.  Although, the dialer seemed
to be waiting for some response from the modem, but I turn this modem
feature off because it would confuse getty to pieces.  If this is the case,
the dialer could be modified to set the modem so that it will behave as it
wants it to behave.  The Telebit has a wonderful feature (probably as do a
lot of other modems, but it is still nice) that if DTR is dropped the
parameters are reloaded from non-volatile memory, so anything the
Telebit dialer sets can be reset automatically when /dev/cua is closed.

> I also needed to hack
>/etc/sendmail/sendmail.cf in order to get everything right.

I needed to also.  The hacking I had to do was to change parameters
sendmail.cf so that sendmail would work in our environment.  I believe
the stock sendmail.cf will work for a non-networked system.
--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213