[comp.sys.next] wn -> foo

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (09/27/89)

I was wandering around in our NeXT machine, which just got 1.0.  It's
neat!  I'm only able to connect to it using a terminal, though
(logistics reasons, not technical), so nroff-type things for WriteNow
are useful.  I've got that wn2troff thing that was posted a little
while ago.  It's great but messes up sometimes.  So, I was wandering
around and cd'd into /NextApps/WriteNow.app, and found a little
program in there called wn2rtf.  You do 'wn2rtf filename', and a
rich-text-format file is put on standard out (it seems).  This is
human readable.  It seems that it would be easier to make a bug-free
rtf2troff program than a bug-free wn2troff program, no?  Also, it
looked like it *might* be possible to make a set of rtf macros for TeX
and have it just print the file.  Anyone working on either of these?
Are they there and I just missed them?  Anyway, back to perusal of all
the new documentation...

woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Woo) (09/29/89)

In article <cZ86WZy00VQDE5nEUD@andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>So, I was wandering
>around and cd'd into /NextApps/WriteNow.app, and found a little
>program in there called wn2rtf.  You do 'wn2rtf filename', and a
>rich-text-format file is put on standard out (it seems).  This is
>human readable.  It seems that it would be easier to make a bug-free
>rtf2troff program than a bug-free wn2troff program, no?

Is there a rtf2LaTeX available?  Under works?

Thanks.

Alex Woo
woo@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/29/89)

/ comp.sys.next / dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) / Sep 27, 1989 /
> it looked like it *might* be possible to make a set of rtf macros for TeX
> and have it just print the file.

What would you do with the TeX version except just print it?  If there was
a way to get the high-level document markup (\chapter, etc.), that would be
nice.  But all you would get is font changes.  And if you just print the
file, why do you need TeX?  Just generate the Postscrip from WriteNow...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob