[comp.sys.next] NeXT vs. FSF on GCC

march@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/29/89)

So those of you who have 1.0 by now, tell me ... what did NeXT do about
the GCC distribution problems.  At the time of the release of 0.9, NeXT was
not supplying their machine specific diffs to the standard GCC distribution.
This is in violation of the GNU copyleft contract (if I am not mistaken).
If you will recall, you had to link the object files supplied by NeXT to
get an executable version of gcc.

Remember the README file in /lib/gnu_cc?
	"This is only a temporary solution to a licensing problem that we
	 hope to have resolved by the NeXT 1.0 software release.  Please
	 run 'make install' in the current directory to enable the compiler."

Well, what happend in 1.0?  As some of you might know, FSF just released
a brand spanking new version of GCC -- 1.36!  What if I want to use it
instead of 1.35?  Must I wait till NeXT gets around to 1.1?  Let's hope
not ...

-Steve

(If I missed any past postings on this matter ... sorry for being ignorant.
In which case email would be preffered.)

Steve March                                 (H) 328-5176/328-5230  (W) 333-7408
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois
march@cs.uiuc.edu                           {uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!march
/* You are not expected to understand this. */ - UNIX V6 kernel source
"Time and space are modes by which we think and not conditions in which
 we live."  - Albert Einstein

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/30/89)

******************************
In article <61300015@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, march@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes...

>So those of you who have 1.0 by now, tell me ... what did NeXT do about
>the GCC distribution problems.

Apparently, NeXT is now distributing the source of their modification
for no charge (except postage and handling) to anyone interested. This at
least solves the problem that source must be distributed with the
system (source: 19_compilerDebugger.wn).

>As some of you might know, FSF just released
>a brand spanking new version of GCC -- 1.36!  What if I want to use it
>instead of 1.35?  Must I wait till NeXT gets around to 1.1?

Ahem. The gnu version in NeXT 1.0 is not even 1.35, but 1.34 (source: cc -v).

ivo welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu
		phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (09/30/89)

march@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Well, what happend in 1.0?  As some of you might know, FSF just released
>a brand spanking new version of GCC -- 1.36!  What if I want to use it
>instead of 1.35?  Must I wait till NeXT gets around to 1.1?  Let's hope
>not ...

What I read in gnu.misc.dicuss says that as soon as the Objective-C is
added to 1.36, NeXT will release the modifications. Soon after that,
they will release their runtime system. Surprising, isn't it?

Chris

--
Chris Whatley			chari@nueces.cactus.org
P.O. Box 50254			!nueces!chari@cs.utexas.edu