[comp.sys.next] NeXT Policy

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/29/89)

After reading about Apple's harddisk replacement policy for
the common failure of their 80MB harddisk drive (i.e. if you
have it for 4 months, you pay [~$800]), I am very happy to report that
NeXT decided in my case, for the second time, to fix the laserprinter
free of charge---despite my having gone 4 weeks over the warranty.

I'll buy into NeXT anytime in the future over buying into Apple.
The same day I heard about NeXT's decision, a colleague of mine
ordered his own system---partly because of NeXT's attitude in my
case.

My one gripe is that (students listen) a one-year extended warranty
is reputed to cost about $900. This is an awful lot for one of NeXT's
target customers (students). Failure to give long or cheap warranties
clearly signals that NeXT does not believe its hardware is reliable to
new buyers. I think this is a pity, as I firmly believe in NeXT myself.

Ivo Welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu
		phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (09/30/89)

In article <5572@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>[...kudos to next re: their egalitarian approach to warranty service]
>
>My one gripe is that (students listen) a one-year extended warranty
>is reputed to cost about $900. This is an awful lot for one of NeXT's
>target customers (students).

If you have been following NeXT's actions in the marketing and development
areas and still believe that students are still NeXT's primary market, well,
you aren't playing close attention.  What vendors has NeXT signed on to develop
for the cube since the original announcement (this would rule out, say,
Wolfram)?  Lotus, Frame, etc. -- the roster reads like the MS-DOS and Sun top
30 list (except for Microsoft.  Heh).

Point is, if NeXT is stressing business applications primarily, then businesses
are a primary target.  If they are not stressing academic/research applications
primarily, then academia is not a primary target (would-be flamers note: I did
*not* say that academia is not a target, just that it doesn't appear to be a
primary one).

>Failure to give long or cheap warranties clearly signals that NeXT does not
>believe its hardware is reliable to new buyers.

I don't know how long the standard NeXT warranty is, but if it is 90 days or
more, it is plenty long.  And, student financial hardships notwithstanding,
$900 is not much to pay for a year's service contract.  Businesses and research
labs both pay ten-fold that amount for similar service on many similar systems.
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (10/02/89)

In article <5831@asylum.SF.CA.US>, langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) says:

>Point is, if NeXT is stressing business applications primarily, then businesses
>are a primary target.  If they are not stressing academic/research applications
>primarily, then academia is not a primary target

As an additional point, I don't think that NeXT ever meant "student" when it
said "academic," though of course students could buy one if they wanted.
They meant faculty and staff, for research, and labs for students networked
with the faculty machines.  Also, NeXT probably never meant to be a comp
sci machine.  When they said academic, they meant the Business and
Chemistry and Mathematics and Spanish.

To sell to these folks NeXT needs word processors, spreadsheets (for grant
budgets and computing grades), database (for managing research data),
statistical packages (for testing all those little hypotheses),
and well integrated voice, image, and text in Email and applications.

In other words, ACADEMIA is a BUSINESS, and most computing in academia
(as measured by number of user hours) is business computing.

lee

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/02/89)

>Point is, if NeXT is stressing business applications primarily, then businesses
>are a primary target.

Agreed. I just wanted to emphasize that the occasional comments by students
about the high price-tag of $6500+handling is not the end, at all. Note that
for most of the quoted target group, the option is between buying an IBM
or compatible system, with all the software, and a NeXT.  Most IBM-like systems
these days come with long warranties. Don't flame me, please: I bought a
NeXT, obviously, so I prefer a NeXT. So, NeXT warranty is a factor.

% I don't know how long the standard NeXT warranty is, but if it is 90 days or
% more, it is plenty long.

It would be long if NeXTs would rarely fail. Unfortunately, I have had two failures
right into my fourth month of ownership (and I understand that failures are quite
common around here). Let me immediately add that NeXT decided to pay for both
of these failures. Still, running with a 90-day-only warranty is not a real
option for a NeXT owner.

% And, student financial hardships notwithstanding,
% $900 is not much to pay for a year's service contract.  Businesses and research
% labs both pay ten-fold that amount for similar service on many similar systems.

Does a single-user extended warranty for a similar system (i.e. a souped-up MSDOS
computer) really cost as much per year as a new NeXT with 330MB Harddisk?

Let me also add that I mis-quoted the $900 figure. It's $700 if you buy the warranty
at purchase, and $1100 if you buy it after the purchase.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (10/04/89)

In article <5831@asylum.SF.CA.US-> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:
->In article <5572@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
->>
->>My one gripe is that (students listen) a one-year extended warranty
->>is reputed to cost about $900. This is an awful lot for one of NeXT's
->>target customers (students).

->I don't know how long the standard NeXT warranty is, but if it is 90 days or
->more, it is plenty long.  And, student financial hardships notwithstanding,
->$900 is not much to pay for a year's service contract.  Businesses and research
->labs both pay ten-fold that amount for similar service on many similar systems.
$900 is a bit much to pay in today's market, and more mfrs are giving 1 year.
While not 100% comparable in price and power, my IBM-80, with 115 meg drive,
and 2 meg memory, and mono display, cost me approx. $325 for 1 year on site
maintenance.  This is after the first year FREE warranty for carry in, or pay
a $25 (no typo that is Twenty-five dollar) surcharge, and the first 1 year
warranty is on-site.  This is for a machine that discounts to about $6300.

On site for a similarly equiped AT&T 386 box is about $400/yr.  $900 is too
much in today's market. (IMHO)

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

dz@kiwi.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (10/05/89)

In article <89274.174058UH2@PSUVM.BITNET> UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) writes:
>As an additional point, I don't think that NeXT ever meant "student" when it
>said "academic,"

I beg to differ.  Many years back (NeXT is four years old!), when Mr.
Jobs was just starting things up, he fully intended to put out a machine
at a price students could afford.  I don't remember the price he was
originally shooting for, but I do remember it as something I could
conceivably handle, although it would be a sacrifice.  I know it wasn't
near $6500.  I guess things got a little out of hand.

Of course, for all the goodies you get in both hardware & software,
$6500 is a real bargain.  An external R/W optical drive by itself can
cost $5,000.  The display is probably worth a good $1500.  Everything
else is gravy.

Unfortunately, just because $6500 is a bargain doesn't mean I can
afford it.  'Twould be fun to take a NeXT home with me.

| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 morning:961-2434 afternoon:687-0110  |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: If it's wrong or stupid, pretend I didn't do it.        |