[comp.sys.next] More 1.0 bugs

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (10/06/89)

Folks,

I have a few more bugs to report concerning 1.0. Has
anyone seen similar problems or know of work-arounds?

1) Our NetInfo configuration server seems to have
problems with the new NetInfo routines.  If I power
down the other three clients it serves, then power
the configuration server down. On power-up, the
config. server will fail somewhere in /etc/rc
script. It will get through until nmserver and
portmap calls. The it stops with an error:

No netserver found, call your network admin-
istrator.
No netserver found, call your network admin-
istrator.

It DOES finish boot up and allows logins,
but of course doesn't know about any other
hosts or printers or anything else loaded
into "/" domain. It doesn't execute fstab.net
because those are "unknown hosts" (the actual
error was : "host unknown"), and ifconfig
DOES show the proper en0 configuration,
which is really strange.

After a reboot, this problem goes away, i.e
the server seems to read /etc/netinfo/network.
nidb abd remember itself. In /etc/hostconfig I have
NETMASTER=-YES- . For the clients this is
set to -NO-. Another strange bug involved here
is that clients can't "talk" to the server. If
a client issues "talk <user>@cinfugserver" the
error comes back "remote host doesn't recognize
us". Which of course it should since both the
user and the machine are niloaded into "/".

I suppose the solution to his would be to
clone the netinfo database, but we haven't
tested that yet. Under 0.9 nidomain -c wasn't
at all reliable so I'm leary. Now, I should mention
that I have not corrected talk-->ntalk as in 0.9
and I have NOT selected PublicWindow Server
everywhere as in 0.9, could that be the problem?
What does being a PublicWindow Server allow/
disallow. What does it do if you're NOT
a PWS?

2) On the NetInfo Server, when loggeed in as
root, if I try to launch NetInfoManager from
the dock or from the Browser, I ALWAYS get the
following error dialogue box:

NetInfo Error: Domain selected failed on open

I have to click abort to see that the App has
failed to open the NetInfo config. server's "."
domain. I'm logged in as root on the config.
server, I should be able to open ANY domain,
especially the one on the same machine! The
weird part is that if I open the Window panel,
I can look into "/" or "." easily with no error
message. Is this related to #1? Have I made
an error in configuring the NetInfo config.
server? I did the same thing in 0.9 and it
all worked? Hmmm....

3) During the Install_TeX script, the basic
installation worksfine, but when users are
instructed to type /usr/lib/tex/Make_Fonts
they should be willing to WAIT. the basic.set
build takes six hours, and that's on a machine
with 16MB of RAM and 660MB of drive! The build
for the full.set (all the fonts) just took too
long. When I cntrl-c I get some error about there
being a problem unpacking one of the fonts. It
takes three cntrl-c's to kill this script!

4) Trying to use lpr to print TeX dvi files
crashed the lpd deamon. If I use lpr -d as
described in man pages for lpr, I kill the
daemon. I was told this would be fixed in
1.0 as I posted it before under 0.9! The
work-around has been/still is to use dvips
and print using Preview. BooHiss. Also, TeXView
allows no PRINT options...what a waste!

5) Sometimes on bootup, I see the following error
from my diskless clients;

nfsgetremotehost() error 13 can't find root
file handle.

Now, I've lived with this error
under 0.9 and I see it under 1.0. NetInfo has
the bootparams and bootptab info it needs and
all the other diskless clients boot when this
happens (it's random, but always the same fix:).
The fix is to open the particular host entry
under NetManager, make some trivial change in
the bootparams field, then save the change.
This works mosts times, but I would still like
to know from anyone who have source access, what
is error 13 from nfsgetremotehosts(). Avie? Is
this nfs call something embedding in kernel or
I patch it with the proper address? Thanks in
advance for these and other problems.

Oh, lastly, we upgraded our cube to 16MB but
haven't seen any improvements in response
time (i.e., Mathmatica still thrashes the disk
and printing off the same cube still drags the
WindowManager to a halt). Is there something
I have to tell the kernel to make better use
of this memeory? Under AIX and AUX I had to
changes amount of buffer spaces and oterh things,
do I have to repeat something similar for MACH?
Thanks, just want to make the best use of
our investment. Keep those letters and cards
coming.

Roger Jagoda
Systems Analyst
220 CCC/Garden Ave
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-8960
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

erica@kong.gatech.edu (Erica Liebman) (10/06/89)

I am pretty surprised that I have not (as yet) seen an outpouring of
general use public-domain or shareware software.  Is it that no one
is writing it, posting it or I haven't gotten in on the correct
channels?  Or is it that NeXT hasn't settled its marketing strategy.

I've come up with several programs, but don't know what to do next
(no pun) with them.  Ideas?

-- Erica (erica@kong.gatech.edu) // grep foo!

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/06/89)

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:
> 3) During the Install_TeX script, the basic
> installation worksfine, but when users are
> instructed to type /usr/lib/tex/Make_Fonts
> they should be willing to WAIT. the basic.set
> build takes six hours, and that's on a machine
> with 16MB of RAM and 660MB of drive! The build
> for the full.set (all the fonts) just took too
> long. When I cntrl-c I get some error about there
> being a problem unpacking one of the fonts. It
> takes three cntrl-c's to kill this script!

It does take a while.  It warns you about that during the script.
And killing the script isn't easy because the various programs have
their own idea about how to handle a control-C.

The amount of time it takes is commeasurate with the speed of the
machine, though; I won't tell you how long it takes my Amiga to
generate the same set of fonts.  Luckily, both the Amiga and the
NeXT machine are fully multitasking so the fonts can run in the
background without disturbing operations excessively.  And the
script is written so it can be restarted without having to remake
the fonts that already exist.

> 4) Trying to use lpr to print TeX dvi files
> crashed the lpd deamon. If I use lpr -d as
> described in man pages for lpr, I kill the
> daemon. I was told this would be fixed in
> 1.0 as I posted it before under 0.9! The
> work-around has been/still is to use dvips
> and print using Preview. BooHiss. Also, TeXView
> allows no PRINT options...what a waste!

The lpr daemon has no idea what dvi files are.  Use dvips.  (As
shipped, `dvips foo' will send the output to your current `lpr'
default printer.  This is easily changed in /usr/lib/tex/config.ps.)
I believe it is possible to make lpr spool dvi files correctly,
in the same manner you would do this on any other Unix system.

Full source is provided for TeXview; adding a Print option is as
simple as putting up a panel and then executing `dvips'.  Perhaps
this will appear in a future version.

Of general interest:  a new version of dvips and TeXview is available
on Radical Eye Radio, at (415) 32-AMIGA.  Discussion on desired
features, possible bugs, and future directions is welcomed.  So is
source code for new features (preferably in diff -c format) since
full source for TeXview and dvips is provided.

> Roger Jagoda

Thank you for your comments.

-tom

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/06/89)

>> BooHiss. Also, TeXView
>> allows no PRINT options...what a waste!

Let me make the point that, to the best of my knowledge, Tom is not
being paid or employed by NeXT. So, his TeX port comes more or less
as an unsupported goody, created by a kind-hearted volunteer.

I also think that Tom's TeX implementation is quite decent.    It's
definitely on par with many commercial versions of TeX.

Thanks, Tom...

/ivo