[comp.sys.next] page mode vs nibble mode simms

nmk@ginger.Princeton.EDU (Nick Katz) (09/30/89)

My Next came last December with 16 meg of ram. According to the "monitor" in
1.0, the first 8 meg are page mode simms, and the second 8 meg are nibble mode
simms. The question is,why are they mixed like this, and does it hurt the
speed of the machine that they are not all page mode (or not all nibble mode,
for that matter)? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Nick Katz
							nmk@math.princeton.edu

edwardm@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Edward McClanahan) (10/03/89)

Nick Katz writes:

> My Next came last December with 16 meg of ram. According to the "monitor" in
> 1.0, the first 8 meg are page mode simms, and the second 8 meg are nibble mode
> simms. The question is,why are they mixed like this, and does it hurt the
> speed of the machine that they are not all page mode (or not all nibble mode,
> for that matter)? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Nick Katz

Just a thought...  I'd be interested to hear performance results from a
main memory intensive test with these three memory configurations.  Care
to try?

  1 - 8 meg. page mode
  2 - 8 meg. nibble mode
  3 - 4 meg. page mode AND 4 meg. nibble mode

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company
  Mail Stop 47UE              -or-     edwardm%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
  19447 Pruneridge Avenue
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Phone: (408)447-5651

oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) (10/06/89)

For those of you who are thinking about upgrading memory in your NeXT, I
tried out 4MB of 100 NS RAM from one of the mail-order places in the
back of MacWeek.  $89/MB, Ca$h on delivery, no PO's or plastic, but they
slipped right in, and I rebooted to a 12MB machine that's been humming
along just fine.  They were page mode (according to what the monitor
told me).  This week's price was $83/MB and the vendor advertises
"prices subject to drop without notice!"

mitsolid@acf5.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (10/11/89)

/* acf5:comp.sys.next / oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) /  8:47 am  Oct  6, 1989 */
From: ambati@acf5.NYU.EDU (ambati)
Date: 10 Oct 89 12:26 EDT
Subject: Re: A nice problem (if and only if)
Newsgroups: sci.math

The problem regarding (a*a + b*b)/(ab + 1) is the square of an integer if
it is an integer appeared as Problem 6 of the 29th International Mathematical
Olympiad (July 16, 1988) held in Australia.

B.K. Ambati