[comp.sys.next] ASCII Files and Trabnsfers

root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/19/89)

Please forgive the naive questions but I know very little about the NeXT computer.

(1)  Can I transfer an ASCII file from another computer to a NeXT via
modem?  Can a conventional modem be used with NeXT or is the DSP chip a
modem emulator, too?

(2)  Is there a way to convert an ASCII file to the format used by the
NeXT "word processor"?

Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (10/19/89)

root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>(1)  Can I transfer an ASCII file from another computer to a NeXT via
>modem?  Can a conventional modem be used with NeXT or is the DSP chip a
>modem emulator, too?

You can transfer anything without error-correction but, to get error
free transfers, you need to use uucp, which comes with the machine
or install kermit which you can get most anywhere.

Many modems are supported but, you can muck with chat scripts and the like
to get nearly anything to work.

>(2)  Is there a way to convert an ASCII file to the format used by the
>NeXT "word processor"?

Yeah. Run WriteNow and open the ascii file.

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)