[comp.sys.next] NeXT netboot difficulties

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (10/18/89)

Help with NeXT network needed!

Situation

10 NeXTs, two with 660MB Hard Disks, NeXT-only network.

System 1: 'gauss' set up as configuration server, and boot server.
System 2: 'euler' set up a clone configuration server, and houses the
'/Users' directory, home of the network-wide user accounters.

Problem:  If I add a system to boot over the network it works fine if
I tell netinfo to boot it off of gauss.  If I tell netinfo to boot it from
euler, it loads the kernel OK, but panics with the famous error 13 when it
tries to mount root.

Clues:

If I boot euler from the monitor, it exports /Users, and then LATER does an
exportfs to export / and /clients, which are essential to booting
systems over the network.  This exportfs FAILS for / because /Users is
already exported, which is a NO-NO apparently.

How would you set up network-wide accounts with ONE server, then?
Wouldn't you see the same problem?  As Phil Donahue says, 'help me out
here.'

                               "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking
Kent Williams                   part that wonders what the part that  isn't
williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu   thinking isn't thinking of" - TMBG

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (10/20/89)

In article <118@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) writes:
>Help with NeXT network needed!
>
>Situation
>
>10 NeXTs, two with 660MB Hard Disks, NeXT-only network.
>
>System 1: 'gauss' set up as configuration server, and boot server.
>System 2: 'euler' set up a clone configuration server, and houses the
>'/Users' directory, home of the network-wide user accounters.

Be sure here that "/" is exported and NOT /Users as in the NeXT
dox. You ARE correct that this is a no-no. Then look into /etc/xtab
to see what has in fact been exported. How we do it:

"/etc/exports":

/ -root=tompkins        <the config server>
/clients/danby -access=danby,root=danby
/clients/newfield -access-newfield,root=newfield

<the clients which are DISKLESS BTW>

NOTE: exporting "/" still exports Users which is the end-goal here.

>Problem:  If I add a system to boot over the network it works fine if
>I tell netinfo to boot it off of gauss.  If I tell netinfo to boot it from
>euler, it loads the kernel OK, but panics with the famous error 13 when it
>tries to mount root.

Yes, error 13 is EACCS or something like that, and it means insuff-
icient permissions...short for it hasn't been exported properly. Make
sure exports has been redone as above, then make the entires for
the bootparams in NetManager (don't niload from /etc/bootparams, there's
a bug in NetInfo that says you have to make a change, then save it back
to network.nidb before it'll take....they've NOT fixed this in 1.0, but
acknowledged it!). In our situation. tompkins is the config server and 4
other 660 machines are client servers. MACH comes from tompkins only
as cloning the nidb didn't help that bottle-neck, but the client-trees
come from the other 4 servers which all have their exports done as above.
Honest, it works. If you still need help drop me mail or call.

Roger Jagoda
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
(607) 255-8960